Word Detection & Translation from image on an android device
An Introduction demo on
Mobile Camera Based Text Detection & Translation
Under The Guidance Of: Mrs. Hema N.
Test & Results
Advantages & Limitation
Our project ‘Mobile camera based text detection and
translation’ retrieves text from an images and converts it into
text format, then it is translated to specified language.
In 1929, first OCR device was invented but it was mechanical device
In about 1965, earliest form of OCR was implemented in one of the
first generation computers for Airline Ticket stock.
Revolutionary in 1971, it was implemented in postal services OCR
systems where reading and printing of routing bar code was done on
the postal code.
In 1974, the modifications was done which would allow blind
people to have a computer read text to them out loud.
In late 90’s, Webcam was used for OCR process.
Match with stored image file
Retrieve text from image
Translate using Google API
Image feature filtering
Optical character recognition
Display of translation
Mobile Hardware Requirements:
• ARM 11 processor or higher
• Memory 1 GB
• 256 MB RAM
• Mobile camera 3.2 mega pixel and above
• Operating System – Android Mob OS 2.2+
• Windows 7 OS
• Mat lab OCR,ADT bundles
• Internet Connection is required
• Android Mobile OS inbuilt web browser
Fig. b: Block diagram
Test & Results
Image quality :
As image quality degraded recognition rate will decrease
Recognition rate of character ‘A’ , ‘B’ , ‘L’ will be higher than recognition
rate of character ‘y’ , ‘u’ , ‘c’.
Fig. d: Test & result
Tourist understanding native language.
Instant recognition of texts, street and e-mail addresses,
links, and telephone numbers.
Unknown language guideline.
Easy to recognize road signs scripts.
Android Mobile OS based platform.
No tiresome manual data entry.
Versatility and ease of use.
No database is needed
For data entry
Image taken by Mobile camera should be of good quality.
Mobile should be of high specifications
For translation of extracted text , Internet connection is
This project which we want to implement is an Android
Mobile OS based application which is web based real time mobile
application for real-time text extraction, recognition and
1. Michael Hsueh “Interactive Text Recognition and Translation on a Mobile Device “
[Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2011-57 ]
2. Yassin M.Y.Hasan and Lina J.Karam “Morphological Text Extraction from Images” IEEE
Transaction on Image Processing Vol.9 No.11, Nov 2000
3. Nobuyuki Otsu, A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms. IEEE
Trans.Sys.,Man., Cyber 9(1):62-66
4. Celine Mancas-Thillou, Bernard Gosselin, Color text extraction with selective metric
based clustering. Computer Vision and Image Understanding 2007
5. B. Epshtein, Detecting Text in Natural Scenes with Stroke Width Transform. Image
Rochester NY, pp. 1-8.
6. Derek Ma , Qiuhau Lin, Tong Zhang “Mobile Camera Based Text Detection and
Translation” – research paper