Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Jennifer Hennessey Marine Spatial Planning in Washington State
Directs state agencies to:
1. Compile and incorporate spatial data into
2. Develop guidance on the operation and
siting of renewable energy facilities.
3. Conduct comprehensive marine spatial
planning for all of Washington’s waters.
Amendments to law in April 2012.
Core principles: content and process
Photo: Katie Lassiter
Report to legislature (Jan. 2011)
General recommendations for how the state
should proceed with MSP, including:
• Renewable energy as key driver
• Separate plans for large regions:
Pacific Coast, Puget Sound, Columbia River
• Goals and objectives
• Data standards, tools & management
Federal and Tribal Governments
Source: NOAA Olympic
Coast National Marine
State Ocean Forum Public
• Initial funding
• Some capacity
• High interest and engagement
• Existing and new governance structures
• Political will ‐‐ legal mandate
• Time ‐‐ no pending developers or projects
• Strategy underway
• No stable funding and limited capacity
• Managing expectations
• Establishing a common understanding of
law, outcomes and process (Why? How?)
• Large area(s)
• Time ‐ Less urgent driver(s)
• Timing – Demonstrate success