James B. Riley Jr.
77 West Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60601-1818
Mr. Riley is chairman of McGuireWoods' Healthcare Department. His practice encompasses
general corporate and healthcare law. He handles corporate counseling, with a particular
emphasis on complex transactional matters for middle market businesses, hospitals and
outpatient service providers, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and third party
He also counsels healthcare providers and companies in the healthcare industry on healthcare
regulatory issues including third- party reimbursement consultation and proceedings, fraud and
abuse counseling, medical staff issues, corporate restructuring, managed care structuring issues,
alternative delivery systems, and matters related to the Medicare ESRD program.
Mr. Riley’s clients include a wide range of companies with a special emphasis in the healthcare
industry including hospitals and health systems; ambulatory care providers, including dialysis
facilities and ambulatory surgery centers; multispecialty and single specialty medical practices
and suppliers to the industry including pharmaceutical companies and medical supply companies.
• Corporate Governance
• Life Sciences
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• Chair, Healthcare Department
• Representation of healthcare providers in reimbursement matters.
• Representation of hospitals and ancillary providers of healthcare services in mergers,
acquisitions and joint ventures.
• Representation of hospitals, physicians, multispecialty clinics and other clients in practice
development, practice management and hospital/physician integration strategies.
• Representation of healthcare providers in development and implementation of
compliance plans and governmental investigations.
• Representation of specialty physician practices in practice structuring.
• George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, D.C., J.D., cum laude,
• University of Illinois, B.A., magna cum laude, 1976
• Named One of America's "Leading Lawyers," Chambers USA, 2008, 2009, 2010
• Named an Illinois "Super Lawyer," Law & Politics, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
• Named one of America's "Leading Lawyers," Leading Lawyers Network, 2006-2009
• Mr. Riley has written numerous articles in the healthcare field, and currently serves as
legal editor for several national healthcare magazines, including Nephrology News and
Issues and Hematology Oncology News & Issues.
• "Reform Brings Big Changes to Life Sciences Sector," (co-authored with Melissa
Gilmore), The National Law Journal, July 2010
• "Health Reform for Hospitals and Health Systems," (co-authored with R. Brent Rawlings,
Thomas J. Stallings and Thomas C. Brown, Jr.), 2010 Healthcare Reform Law Resource
Guide, American Health Lawyers Association, June 2010
• "Out-of-network payments for ESRD care: The National Renal Alliance case," (co-
authored with Daniel Soldato), Nephrology News & Issues, July 2008
• “Key Changes to the Stark II Final Rule: Part 2,” (co-authored with Robert J. Pristave),
Nephrology News & Issues, January 2008
• “Key Changes to the Stark II Final Rule,” (co-authored with Robert J. Pristave),
Nephrology News & Issues, November 2007
• “Physicians’ Liability for Off-label Prescriptions,” (co-authored with P. Aaron Basilius),
Hematology & Oncology News & Issues, May/June 2007
• “OIG Allows Discharge of Indigent Patient after Dialysis Care,” Nephrology News &
Issues, March 2007
• "Understanding software license and services agreements," Nephrology News & Issues,
• "Three key steps to successfully marketing and selling dialysis facilities," Nephrology
News & Issues, July 2006
• "Freedom of contract vs. access to care," Nephrology News & Issues, June 2006
• "Dialysis Facility Joint Ventures—Current Structures & Issues,” (co-authored with Bob
Pristave), Nephrology News & Issues, July 2005
• “Legal Mechanisms to Protect Dialysis Patients’ End-of-Life Decisions," (co-authored with
Bob Pristave), Nephrology News & Issues, June 2005
• “New Conditions for Coverage Will Impose a Host of New Requirements on Dialysis
Clinics," (co-authored with Bob Pristave and Kim Kannensohn), Nephrology News &
Issues, April 2005
• Mr. Riley has spoken at programs sponsored by the American Health Lawyers
Association, the Health Care Financial Management Association, the National Renal
Administrators Association, the Renal Physicians Association, and various state regional
• CPA Certificate, Illinois
• American Health Lawyers Association
• Illinois Association of Hospital Attorneys
• American Bar Association, Health Law Section
• Board of Directors, DCI Donor Services
• Board of Directors, American Kidney Fund
• Member and Board of Directors, Rebuilding Together - North Suburban Chicago, Former
• Former President and Chairman, Board of Directors, Illinois Alliance for the Aging
• U.S. Court of Federal Claims
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois