On June 25, 1875, under a royal decree issuedby King Alfonso XII of Spain, the requiredInspector of Public Works of the PhilippineIslands was requested to submit a railwaysystem plan for Luzon. The plan, which wassubmitted five months later by Don EduardoLopez Navarro, was entitled Memoria Sobre elPlan General de Ferrocarriles en la Isla de Luzón,and was promptly approved. A concession forthe construction of a railway linefrom Manila to Dagupan was granted to DonEdmundo Sykes of the Ferrocarril de Manila-Dagupan on June 1, 1887.
The Ferrocarril de Manila-Dagupan whichconstitutes much of the North Main Linetoday, began construction in July 1887 withthe laying of the cornerstone for Tutubanstation. The railway was 195 kilometers (120miles) long at the time of its opening onNovember 24, 1892, running from Manilato Dagupan City in Pangasinan.The maiden voyage of the Bicol Expresswas on . The track from Dagupan toLegaspi was completely connected on May8, 1938.
Later the Ferrocarril de Manila-Dagupan became the ManilaRailway Company. It was nationalized and its assets were acquiredby the Philippine government, which expanded the rail network,only to have most of those improvements lost during World WarII. Of the 1,140 route-kilometers (706 miles) before the war, only452 route-kilometers (280 miles) were operational after it. Theextensive damage to the system took several years to repair.During the 1950s the Manila Rail Company fleet of trains wasconverted from steam to diesel engines. The Manila RailwayCompany was given a new charter under Republic Act No. 4156,and the company changed its name to Philippine NationalRailways.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_National_Railways
The Manila-Dagupan railroad no longerexists. It is one of the numerous railways inLuzon which have been abandoned andforgotten. Before World War II, the ManilaRailway Company operated 1,140kilometers of railways in the island. Itsmost popular routes were Manila-Legazpiand Manila-Tabaco in Albay; and Manila-San Fernando in La Union. After WorldWar II, only 452 kilometers of the railwayswere left operational.http://mongpalatino.com/2010/10/abandoned-railways/
Along the rail route, numerous stations werebuilt to house and accommodate passengers andStation Masters. These structures, most made ofbrick and wood, who shelter the official needsand functions of the assigned Station Master aswell as commuters who would wait for their ridesas well as onlookers who as part of their dailyroutine would flock to see the trains pass by. Thestation thus became a hub of the community,springing to life a multitude of activities fromselling food to travelers as well as meeting placefor travelers.http://heritageconservation.wordpress.com/category/railroad-stations/
Tutuban Station(now part of Tutuban Central Mall)