2005-01-04 Web Services Survey an Inventory Background, Goals and Status
Web Services Survey an Inventory
Background, Goals and Status
14th ESIP Federation Assembly Meeting
Renaissance Mayflower Hotel
January 4-6, 2005
Background and Purpose
There is a rapidly growing array of distributed services for accessing, processing, visualizing,
cataloging, discovering or otherwise manipulating Earth Science information through
The landscape is currently obscured by the lack of a suitable inventory and by the hype
associated with web services
Purposes of the WS Inventory/Survey
• assess the size and characteristics of the computer-accessible (WS) resource pool
• expose the main computer-computer WS linking protocols used and
• get a rough assessment of the current WS usage environments.
Infusion DSWG workgroup
other DSWG workgroups, (e.g. Reuse and Standards)
It should also aid the creation and diffusion of ES knowledge for Achieving a Sustainable Planet (ESIP)
WS Inventory: Features and Approach
WS Inventory Survey Features
• Flexible to capture the varied WS technologies and their use environments
• Simple for easy participation
Approach to the WS Inventory Content Creation
• The content of the WS Inventory collected from the community through a web-form.
• Subsequent versions of this inventory could incorporate more specifics for service binding
• The content could migrate to formal WS Discovery services such as GCMD, ECHO and
Current task: Designing the web-form to be filled out by the participating members
Latest draft Web Service Inventory page on the Infusion WG website
Discussion thread for web-form design WS Invedntory Form Design by the WG
Select the node in the thread
Press Post Reply (remember to log in, so we know who you are).
WS Inventory as an Open, Living Resource?
• Relationship to other Catalogs (Social Behavior)
– Not to be rude
– Not just coexisting
- Data collection through SDS SharePoint
– Cooperative, part of a value-chain
- Inventory extension @ ESIP (SOAP)
- Usage at GCMD & EDCHO?
GCMD OpenDAP Cat
OGC Cats ESIP Cat
• Stages of Cooperation
– Open content for connection by others - sharing
– Connecting through proxies & gateways
– Semantic Interoperability
Scope of Web Services Subgroup, 2005
1. Prepare an inventory of web services and their interfaces
– The WS landscape is changing rapidly. New services are emerging
– We need a snapshot of the service landscape, particularly in the REASoN projects
– But what ‘services’ do we include? SOAP, OPeNDAP, OGC, files?
3. Assess WS architectures for data access AND analysis
– We don't quite know how to link distributed WSs into coherent science applications
– An open dialog on the linking/architectural issues would speed up the group
– Issues: e.g. Architecture without rigid architecture
5. Demonstrate web service linking
– Several REASoNs have a goal of facilitating satellite data flow and processing
– A narrow pilot project could demonstrate satellite data
– Issues: Which REASoN projects? Data products? Services? Architecture(s)?
Further ideas/feedback on the scope of the WS subgroup will be appreciated.