Speaking Tips in the Public1. Planning or Preparation Voice – what you start out with and the sound it makes Speech is what you do with sound (tone, volume, pace, pitch, articulation and pronunciation) Get your voice ready2. Writing for Speaking You Will Probably Read Your Speech (or Glance At Notes) If You Insist On Speaking From Memory Do What Works Best For You
3. Mapping the content of your speech The visible structure Putting one foot before the other Be concrete. Be metaphorical Conclusion4. The Audience Young or old High or low income Educated or uneducated What is the background What mood are they likely to be in
5. Knowledge the occasion Whether you are speaking at an academic, celebratory or solemn occasion Whether you are only speaker at the event or whether you are one of several At what stage of the proceedings you will be speaking6. Knowledge the room The size and the shape of the room Whether or not there is a podium Whether there is microphone The type of technical assistance that is available to you
7. Using visual aids Before you begin, make sure the slides can be seen clearly from every seat in the room Keep demonstrating or materials simple Keep the visuals simple Make sure you speak to your audience and not to your slides Heighten interest Chose the right time to give out handouts Practice your speech with all the visuals8. Practice makes perfect
9. On the day you speech – Avoid panic! Arrive early Check everything10. Body language and gestures Posture Make an effort to be aware of what you do with your hands Gesturing with your head and arms is part and parcel of communicating Dress Eye contact Controlling the nerves Be confident
11. Mistakes Mistakes are all right Recovering from mistakes makes you appear from human Good recovery puts your audience at ease – they identity you more12. Interact with the audience - ask questions, get people involved - since people learn better when they are actively participating.13. Humour Tell jokes if you’re good at telling jokes If you arent good, best to leave the jokes behind
14. How to use the public speaking environment Try not to get stuck in one place Use all the space that available to you Move around One way to do this is to leave your notes in one place and move to another15. Leave time for Questions & Answers and address everyone politely.