Using Social Media to Launch your Campaign or Organization
Using Social Media to Launch
Your Campaign or Organization
Mission: Advance the Business of Community
1. Champion: Advocate for community business owners & teams!
2. Educate: Provide training solutions to community & social
3. Curate: Aggregate, document & share community management
TheCR Network !
TheCR Advisory !
TheCR Research !
Principal & Co-Founder!
Principal & Co-Founder!
About The Community
TheCR was built using social media and a
• Online community!
Content & Programming
• Thought leadership!
• Weekly member calls!
Lessons & Ahas from our experience
• Curation is valuable and builds trust!
• Focus on the problem, not your solution – especially in the beginning!
• Follow/RT/interact with various advocate categories; boundary spanners,
subject matter experts, ‘hidden’ inﬂuencers!
• If you give away value, people will recommend you!
• Give away enough value and commitment cost per person approaches
• If you provide the stepping stones and stay engaged, your audience will
help you ﬁgure out the rest!
Your communications approach will be a
portfolio of paid, earned & owned
What is social media?
“Social media are computer-mediated
tools that allow people to create, share
or exchange information, ideas, and
pictures/videos in virtual communities
But it really depends on how you use it
Broadcast/Content Network! Community!
• Awareness: who are we
and why do we matter!
• Engagement and
advocacy: who shares
our vision and has
transactions that realize
As a new initiative, what do you
But what comes ﬁrst, the relationship or
You have a choice in your approach, with
The commitment you need will determine
Which tools are best?
2. Content types!
3. Business model!
• Be speciﬁc, short and clear; what do you
believe, who do you work with and how do you
• What value will your community provide?!
• How will your behavior incorporate the
• What value will you contribute to the
Know what you want
Understand your stakeholders & what
• What value will they receive from your community?!
• How will their behavior change?!
• What value will they contribute to the community?!
• What is their:!
– Need to learn!
– Competing sources of information!
– Online social comfort!
– Technical literacy!
– Cultural context!
Shared purpose is the most powerful
When someone wants
they will use the community to
instead of doing _____________
Understand the behavior change that will
deliver shared value
– Friends/followers on social media!
– Community members!
– Newsletter list subscribers!
– Social media shares/RTs!
– Blog subscribers!
– Number of search results!
– Article and blog post mentions!