Making a Pitch deck?
There is a lot of advice out there for your fundraising pitch
deck. In general, it boils down to three questions to answer with
1. What are you going to do?
2. How are you doing it?
3. Why will you be successful?
…but the deck also needs to tell a story. Here are some
questions to ask yourself when crafting a compelling slide deck.
● Do you have a high concept pitch?
(5 word description or “x for y”)
● Does it include who you are meeting with?
● Is the date listed for future reference?
Encountering the Problem
● What is the problem you are trying to solve?
● How did you encounter the problem?
● What is your creditability to solve this problem?
● Why does this problem exist?
● Who is experiencing the problem?
● How are they dealing with the problem today?
● What's your user solution to the problem?
● Why is it possible now?
● What makes this a good idea today?
● How are you bringing (or going to bring) your solution
● At what stage is your product now?
● What is your vision for the product?
● How is that going for you?
● What is your traction?
(i.e. sign-ups to beta waiting list, users on 3 times a
week, or evidence of increasing product value over
time (cohort analysis))
● Do you have any user testimonials?
● Who is your competition?
● How are they solving the problem?
● Why are you different?
● Why is this a $1 billion plus market opportunity?
● How much are people willing to pay for your product?
● How many people will pay for your product?
● How are you going to make money?
● Are you entering a crowded market?
(either by selling a cheap product with the bare
minimum to solve the problem or creating an exclusive
premium product that has unique features or data)
● Are you re-segmenting a market with a novel product?
● What will you do the next 12-24 months?
● What adoption do you expect from your targeted
● Do you expect a network effect or viral response?
● What is your projected burn for 3 years?
● What is your projected hiring for 3 years?
● What is your projected revenue for 3 years?
● How much money do you need?
● What are you going to deliver in value for that money?
(not equipment purchases, salary, or hires -- but
product/market fit, early revenue, or 1,000 weekly
● How long will it take to get there?
● Who is going to help you make this happen?
● How will they contribute to solving the problem?
● What is their experience in these roles?
● What is your company’s name?
● What is your high concept pitch?
● What is your contact information?
● Co-Founder & COO of Bison, a venture-backed startup
that is transforming the private equity market and is
based in the heart of Boston's fintech scene.
● Chairman of the Swedish-American Chamber of
Commerce of New England.
● Previous experience as a corporate and securities
attorney at Gunderson Dettmer LLP.