Human brain has three (figurative) parts:
1. The new brain – thinks (rational data)
2. The middle brain – feels (emotions and gut feeling)
3. The old brain – decides (takes input from both and pulls the
It has been proved in various studies that The “ Old Brain” is
decision taking part of the brain and has evolved with human race
Hence the earlier concept of “ Rational decision” is less important
than the older survival instinct of “ Fight or Flight” .
This concept works for all aspects of Marketing too and is called
Neuro Marketing and is used by all big companies including Coke,
Google, Nike , Apple, Tesla, Cadbury’s , Unilever, P&G, Tobacco &
Liquor brands et cetera.
6 Triggers - Neuro Marketing
There are six stimuli to the decision making:
4.The beginning and the end
Self Centred works because :
1. Decisions are made only for self and not for reasons of
empathy and brain does not have patience to listen.
2. Hence info should be focused on customer and not you.
3. Sell “ Benefits and not features”
4. Check the two Info graphs and find the difference
•“The old brain is sensitive to clear contrast, such as before/after,
risky/safe, with/without, or fast/slow.
•Contrast allows the old brain to make quick, risk-free decisions.
•Without it, the old brain enters into a state of confusions leading to
delayed decision or no decision at all.
This could be implemented in a few ways, such as…
1. Showing you a poor quality product alongside the one that they want you to buy.
2. Showing you a wonderful product that is way beyond your reach (anchoring).
3. Selling add-ons and cross-sells. When you buy an expensive car, the optional
extras look so cheap in comparison.
4. Putting contrast colours / things which needs to be highlighted
The old brain is not qualified to process written language,
the use of words – especially complicated ones
“ Don’t make it think”
2 examples of same message
The beginning and the End
The old brain enjoys openings and finales and often overlooks what is in between.
Such a short attention span has huge implications on how we as a seller should
construct and deliver our messages.
Placing the most important content at the beginning is a must, as is repeating it at
the end. Anything in the middle of your message will be overlooked
•Show/demonstrate sequentially as per importance and repeat at end .
•Placing the product first on a multi-product display.
•Draw visual attention to that product/feature so that it is viewed first.
1. The old brain is visual…By using visual stimuli, you ensure that you tap
into the processing bias that the brain has developed over thousands of
2. In a noisy world filled with marketing messages, you need to disrupt
people’s attention, and good visuals do that.
3. Google research actually showed many decision judgements only took
users 17 milliseconds to form.
Even the way prices are written affects purchase decisions
The old brain is only triggered by emotion
One of the best examples of emotional advert which created a new segment in
India : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4AEDN1jKi0
-- Usage of fear as an emotion
people are hard-wired to avoid loss more
than seek gain.
In studies by the neuroscientist Antonio Damasio, it was revealed
that without emotions, people found it almost impossible to make
Our old brain drives decisions. So market to the old brain.
Again, the 6 triggers are:
•The beginning and the end
Of course, there are many ways to execute on these triggers
This is not it --------------------------------------------------------------->