Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Alcohol And Sleep Apnea

1,145 views

Published on

Alcohol effects on sleep-disordered breathing.

Published in: Health & Medicine, Business
  • Be the first to comment

Alcohol And Sleep Apnea

  1. 1. Alcohol and Sleep Apnea Ken McKenney, Coordinator So. Ky. A.W.A.K.E.
  2. 2. Ethanol Usage? <ul><li>Per capita consumption of alcohol hasn’t changed since 1850 </li></ul><ul><li>In 1998, consumption was reported at 2.19 gallons (per year, per person 15 & older) </li></ul><ul><li>Beer=1.25; Spirits=0.63; Wine=0.31 </li></ul><ul><li>35% of adults don’t drink, so this amount is consumed by the remaining 65% </li></ul><ul><li>Men drink more than women (70% as compared with 61%) </li></ul>
  3. 3. Used Extensively as a Sleep Aid <ul><li>28% of insomniacs said they used alcohol to help fall asleep </li></ul><ul><li>Occasional insomniacs=3.6 nights per month </li></ul><ul><li>Chronic insomniacs=6.8 nights per month </li></ul><ul><li>67% overall describe alcohol as an effective or very effective method to induce sleep </li></ul>
  4. 4. Ball & Stick Model <ul><li>White= Hydrogen </li></ul><ul><li>Red= Oxygen </li></ul><ul><li>Black= Carbon </li></ul><ul><li>Metabolized quickly </li></ul>
  5. 7. A Normal Night’s Sleep <ul><li>Not necessarily a uniform process </li></ul><ul><li>Stages 1,2,3,4 of NREM and REM </li></ul><ul><li>Circadian Rhythm vs. “Sleep Debt” </li></ul>
  6. 9. Circadian vs. Sleep Debt
  7. 10. Definitions <ul><li>12 oz bottle of beer or wine cooler 1 </li></ul><ul><li>5 oz glass of wine 1 </li></ul><ul><li>1.5 oz of 80 proof distilled spirits 1 </li></ul><ul><li>These can yield BrAC’s as high as 0.105%! 2 </li></ul>1 Ancoli-Israel & Roth, 1991 2 Bennington and Heller, 1995
  8. 11. Alcohol’s Effects on Sleep <ul><li>Decreases Sleep Latency </li></ul><ul><li>Decreases TST </li></ul><ul><li>May increase SWS first half of night and decrease Growth Hormone (Takahashi et al. 1996 & Ekman et al. 1996) </li></ul><ul><li>Increases wake and light sleep second half of night (Williams et al11983 & Roehrs et al 1991) </li></ul>
  9. 12. Alcohol’s Effects on SDB <ul><li>Increases muscle relaxation </li></ul><ul><li>Increases # and Duration of Respiratory Events </li></ul><ul><li>Can cause apneic events even in people who otherwise do not have SDB! </li></ul>
  10. 14. Alcohol and the Aging <ul><li>Normal decrease in SWS during aging process </li></ul><ul><li>Awakenings of up to 20 times/night. </li></ul><ul><li>Increases susceptibility to SDB </li></ul><ul><li>Increases nighttime falls </li></ul>
  11. 15. Alcoholism and Sleep <ul><li>Increased sleep latency </li></ul><ul><li>Frequent awakenings </li></ul><ul><li>Decrease in subjective sleep quality associated with EDS </li></ul><ul><li>Increased REM </li></ul><ul><li>Severe withdrawal: periods of REM with awakenings </li></ul><ul><li>Some alcoholics tend to sleep poorly even years after abstinence! </li></ul>
  12. 16. A Final Note! <ul><li>Do not drink hand sanitizer! It can be deadly! </li></ul><ul><li>MedicineNet reported that 2 men drank this for it’s alcohol content! Both survived. </li></ul><ul><li>“ Active ingredient 63% Isopropyl alcohol, this “is higher than that in Vodka” </li></ul><ul><li>Industry considering “isopropanol” or “propane-2-ol” </li></ul>

×