According to stats compiled by Impact Branding & Design, 33% of email recipients open their email based on the subject line alone. View the presentation to learn how to unlock the secrets from the Top 3,000 retailers.
Encore Webinar: Steal from the Best: Subject Line Secrets from the Top 3,000 Retailers
1. Steal from the Best: Subject Line
Secrets from the Top 3,000 Retailers
Tom Sather, Sr. Director, Research
Bonnie Malone, Director, Response Consulting
Nick Cesares, Product Manager
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
3. Return Path: Email Optimization Pioneer
15+ Years of Email Expertise
• Global leader in email optimization, email fraud protection, and
consumer insight solutions
• Serving over 2,000 leading brands across retail/eCommerce, publishing,
social media, and financial services sectors
• 440+ dedicated email professionals
• Offices in New York, Indianapolis, Denver, Sunnyvale, London, Paris,
Hamburg, Sydney, Sao Paulo, and Toronto
Proven Data Infrastructure
• Benefits extend across more than 2.5 billion mailboxes worldwide
• Near-‐real-‐time analysis of trillions of messages annually
• Longstanding partnerships with major mailbox providers and anti-spam
4. The Center of the Email Universe
Email Service Providers
5. Helping You Achieve Unparalleled Performance
• Visibility into how much email was delivered to the inbox, by
domain, IP address, and campaign type
• Monitoring and analysis of your sending reputation
• Email program management to stay up-to-date on trends, and
dedicated service teams to handle any problem
• Experienced professionals dedicated to delivering higher ROI
Return Path develops strategic partnerships based on mutual goals
and deep collaboration with over 300 email solutions providers
around the world.
Offering tools, data, and support to help you get more
value from your email service provider
6. How Can My Email Marketing Deliver More Value?
Messages delivered to the
spam folder simply don’t
reach subscribers. You need
to know when messages fail
to reach the inbox, and how
to take corrective action.
Beyond opens and clicks,
subscribers’ interactions with
your messages send signals
that can influence inbox
placement and help you
strengthen relationships. To
improve engagement, you
need to see and measure it.
See -‐ and Measure -‐
Reach the Inbox
See What Works for the
Top brands’ engagement and
response from email
marketing far outpaces the
average. You need to see
whose messages and which
tactics are capturing your
subscribers’ attention and
16. Be mobile friendly!
• Small screens, short
• Frontload key words
• Variety of user
• Keep it short – no
17. •Exclusive: Friends & Family Get 20% Off
•Last call! Up to 80% OFF Ends Today
•Rewards member exclusive: __ for $25 Mix & Match Underwear
•Today only! 25% OFF + free shipping
•Ends tonight: 20% off your entire purchase
18. Which Subject Line was Read the Most?
• Sunday Funday
• Do the shuffle!
• It’s tough out there…
• Sundays > Mondays
• You can do it!
• We’re seeing double…
20. Be lifestyle-oriented!
• Be better, faster,
• Use phrases that
appeal to your
• Be a great resource
• Pique interest
21. Marriott: The Email Tour Guide
• __ Must-See Museums in
• __ Destinations for
• __ College Towns to Visit
22. Which Subject Line was Read the Most?
• This Is What Every Athlete Wears To Be Better
• Our Job is to Make Runners Better
• This is Your Armour
• It’s Not Getting Warmer Out There
• Meet Our Latest Game Changers
26. Be personal!
• “First Name” doesn’t always
• What data points do you have
• Geography can be interesting
27. LinkedIn Gets Personal
•Congratulate _ on the new job
•__ & __ are looking for candidates like
•___ has endorsed you!
•___ get even more out of your account
•__ added connections you may know
28. Which Subject Line was Read the Most?
• You’ll love this, Atlanta: __ music sweepstakes plus sweet deals
• __ NEW nonstops, Dallas! On sale now
• Double points on [Dallas/Austin] flights! Register now
• These Spring Sales Will Make You…
• Sale on spring travel. More daylight, less dollars
Double points on [Dallas/Austin] flights! Register now
• “Dallas” newsletter had 23% read
rate, “Austin” 25% read rate
• NEW nonstops, Dallas! Second place
• You’ll love this, Atlanta had 17% read
• Non-personalized campaigns had
16% read rate
31. Which Subject Line Split Test was Read the Most?
• jetBlue tested two subject lines promoting their
mileage pool for families:
• Your family can be points millionaires!
• Join Family Pooling & enter to win __ million points!
Your family can be points millionaires!
• “Your family can be points
millionaires!” had a read rate of 42%,
compared to a 27% read rate for
“Join Family Pooling.”
33. Which Subject Line Split Test was Read the Most?
jetBlue tested two subject lines on Valentine’s Day:
• Love is a trip.
• Flying solo? Or with a seatmate? #loveisintheair