What’s a resource?
“A network data object or service that
can be identified by a URI [...].
Resources may be available in multiple
representations (e.g. multiple
languages, data formats, size, and
resolutions) or vary in other ways.”
RFC 2616 (june 1999)
What’s a resource? Second attempt!
“A resource is anything that’s important
enough to be referenced as a thing in itself.”
Leonard Richardson & Sam Ruby
- “Restful Webservices”
“Actions that can be performed on
The most common operations are GET,
POST, PUT, PATCH and DELETE.”
What’s an operation?
● Status code
Define responses: HTTP status codes
1xx Hold on
2xx Here you go
3xx Go away
4xx You f**ked up
5xx I f**ked up
● Data structure
Define representation: formats
● Add general information: endpoints, security, a picture
● Structure your API via sections
● Complete documentation with additional information
on error handling and authentication
● Share your API design and get feedback on it
● Use Client SDK to speed up mobile app development
● Bootstrap your server code with Server Skeletons
● Export a Swagger file if you need to
Thanks for participating!
and send us feedback!