copyright haiku:copyright haiku:
Information wants to be free
But no, it is not
to recognize the value of peer review
»Content Lifecycle Approach»Content Lifecycle Approach
to realize aftermarket value
to make things fair & easy to understand and payto make things fair & easy to understand and pay
Waste and price
» Waste:» Waste:
Bigger economies of scale
E d» End-users:
“Why not” instead “how much?”Why not instead how much?
O t iti t O ti iO t iti t O ti iOpportunities to OptimizeOpportunities to Optimize
Content SpendingContent Spendingp gp g
1)1) Remove barriersRemove barriers
to content acquisition & re-useto content acquisition & re use
2) I t t d i i2) I t t d i i kiki2) Integrate decision2) Integrate decision--makingmaking
into the workflow
3) Discover efficiencies3) Discover efficiencies3) Discover efficiencies3) Discover efficiencies
A medical scientist is asked a
question by a healthcare provider.
• Does the medical scientist have easy access to the article?
• How can it be delivered?
• Is this use subject to regulatory review?Is this use subject to regulatory review?
A brand manager bought
ti l l t han article last year – her
colleagues now want a copy.g py
• How do they know that a colleague has• How do they know that a colleague has
already purchased the article?
• Are they allowed to share?• Are they allowed to share?
• Or do they each need to purchase
their own copy?their own copy?
A literature support teampp
receives 100 references – all
articles are needed next dayarticles are needed next day.
• Can they meet the deadline?
• How do they know which ones arey
covered by their subscriptions?
• How will the end user know whato t e e d use o at
their re-use rights are?
Case Study #1: Link Resolvers
Evaluate efficacy & configuration in article supply workflowEvaluate efficacy & configuration in article supply workflow
• 16% of docdel orders for content already acquired
• 10% of resolved links aren’t resolved to the article
Case Study #2: Medical Affairs
Improve efficiency in a medical affairs article (~40/day)Improve efficiency in a medical affairs article ( 40/day)
supply and rights management workflow
• 44% of articles published in subscription content
• 30% allow external delivery through MI clause or rightsy g g
granted by an RRO
Case Study #3: Sales Team
Create a custom suite of web-based tools
to simplify and legitimize article re-use
Key Result:Key Result:Key Result:Key Result:
Sales team didn’t want to use another
website to get their jobs done
• 80% of time is spent using Outlook
• 20% of their time is spent onp
Blackberries or iPhones
Content workflow data
The data about the Who bought it?The data about the
articles you acquire,
use and manage
Who bought it?
use, and manage
has meaning and
Who else used it?
What was their reaction?
value to others
What was their reaction?
What else is needed?