Distinctions of Leadership and Management
• Managers are concerned with the
• Leaders look to the .
• Managers make sure details are
taken care of.
• Leaders set broad purposes and
Managers exercise control to make sure that
things work well.
Leaders create commitment that things may
Managers solve today’s problems by
addressing difficulties caused by changing
Leaders creates a better future by seizing
opportunities stimulated by changing events.
Managers focus on the process. Leaders focus on the product.
Managers focus on problem
behavior and try to improve it
through counseling, coaching and
Leaders focus on what is right and
Managers make sure people put
in an honest day’s work for their
Leaders inspire people to do their
Managers organize and plan to
meet this year’s objectives.
Leaders create a vision of the
years down the road.
Managers create efficient policies and
standard operating procedures.
Leaders go beyond the need for
standard procedures and create a
more efficient system.
Managers focus on efficiency. Leaders focus on effectiveness.
•Leaders do the right
According to Bennis…
1. Managers administer- Leaders innovate.
2. Managers maintain- Leaders develop.
3. Managers control- Leaders inspire.
4. Managers have a short-term view- Leaders, a long-term view.
5. Managers ask how and when- Leaders ask what and why.
6. Managers imitate- Leaders originate.
7. Managers accept status quo- Leaders challenge it.
• A Force for Change- showed
the importance of an
organization needing the
respective strengths of
management and leadership.
Planning and Budgeting
Establishing detailed steps and
timetables for achieving
needed results, and then
allocating the resources
necessary to make that
Developing a vision of the
future, often the distant future
and strategies for producing
the changes needed to
• ORGANIZING AND STAFFING
• ESTABLISHING SOME STRUCTURES FOR
ACCOMPLISHING PLAN REQUIREMENTS,
STAFFING THAT STRUCTURE WITH
RESPONSIBILITY AND AUTHORITY FOR
CARRYING OUT THE PLAN, PROVIDING
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES TO HELP
GUIDE PEOPLE, AND CREATING
METHODS OR SYSTEMS TO MONITOR
• ALIGNING PEOPLE
• COMMUNICATING THE DIRECTION BY
WORDS AND DEEDS TO ALL THOSE
COOPERATION MAY BE NEEDED SO AS
TO INFLUENCE THE CREATION OF
TEAMS AND COALITIONS THAT
UNDERSTAND THE VISION AND
STRATEGIES, AND ACCEPT THEIR
Controlling and problem
Monitoring results versus
plan is some detail,
identifying deviations and
organizing to solve these
Motivating and inspiring-
Energizing people to
overcome major political
bureaucratic and resource
barriers to change by
satisfying very basic, but
then often unfulfilled,
• Mind of a Manager; Soul of a Leader
• Importance of a balance between a leader and a
manager qualities on a leadership team.
• Calls for the full development of both managers