What is Refresh Annapolis Valley (F5 AV)?
•New Media professional association
•Founded in late 2012
•Monthly networking meet-ups w/presentations
•Broad participation: software developers,
designers, and entrepreneurs
•Campus faculty, students, private companies
What is F5://JITM?
•A cadre of experts, enthusiasts and
•A tool for entrepreneurs to validate and
refine their new start-up
•A way to foster innovation in the Valley
•Think “community sourced Dragon’s Den”
The JITM Model
•Creators pitch, refine and progress
•Mentors lend their expertise/experience
•Attendees observe and learn
•Innovation in the Valley grows
A Case Study – Semantic Search Start-Up
• Creators were 3 start-up founders in search space
• Their goals:
• Validate developed technology
• Refine their business model
• JITM mentors listened to and then critiqued pitch
• Technology mentors validated:
• Underlying technology assumptions
• Appropriateness of the software designed
• Business mentors refined marketing and monetization opportunities
• Mentors feedback helped refine their pitchfor future investors
•Experience is cool but not required
•Participate, watch, learn it’s all good!
•Pick and choose the sessions that fit
•Lend your skills to boost innovation
•Grow as a community leader!
•Have an idea or business plan to validate?
•Dry-run your pitch in a safe environment
•Obtain free, valuable input on your idea
•Refine, evolve, spin again
•Observe & learn
•Freedom to attend without expectations
•Provides pitch audience
•Allows Mentors to “sit out” some sessions
• Goal is 3-8 mentors
• Be Positive
• Be Realistic
• Share your knowledge/experience
• Advise & guide vs. direct
• Some “homework” may be required
• Remember, it’s their idea!
• Come prepared with a 10-20 minute pitch
• Pitch like you mean it
• Include all facets of your pitch
• Printed materials
• Business plans
• Can be mock-ups
• Be open to all feedback
Tips for a Good Pitch
•Keep it simple
•Keep it interesting
•Find your focus
•Deliver with enthusiasm
•Be ready for tough questions
•A new service
•Innovative use of a physical space
•An novel approach to an old problem
•Repurpose an existing product or idea
…and just about anything you can imagine!
…and some bad examples
•An emerging or not fully-developed idea
•Extending the reach/market of an
•“Selling” to the group
•Creator gives pitch (10-20 mins)
•Mentors review & feed back
•Mentors may provide afterthoughts
•Creators can keep group informed of
•Can re-pitch if significant changes
Creating a Session
•Creator contacts F5 AV
•Creator sends out short abstract
•Mentors review and confirm participation
•A date is set!
•Attendees are always welcome
•We need mentors and creators!
•Got an idea to pitch?
•Want to participate?
•Let us know!
•Your feedback will help improve this process