Allium-cepa: red onion; Apis: the bee; Lachesis: the bushmaster snake Can you predict the possible uses of each one?
One of several common hay fever remedies, prepared from Allium-cepa (red onion) A healthy person chopping an onion will often get a runny nose and streaming eyes.
Angry red swellings (however caused) may be treated with Apis made from the bee sting.
Blood poisoning may be treated with Lachesis, or other remedies made from snake’s venom
Role Of Alternative Medcines
Ayurveda Industry In India
India is a “mega-biodiversity” country, having over 45,000 plant species. The
Botanical Survey of India estimates that out of the 45,000 plant species so far
recorded, atleast two-thirds are potentially of medicinal value.
There is 16 different agroclimatic zones, 10 vegetative zones and 15 biotic
Since Independence, successive five year plans have made efforts to develop
the Indian traditional medicinal system.
The country has over 8,000 licensed Ayurveda pharmacies with over 30% of
them located in the state of Uttar Pradesh alone and an equal number of
unlicensed manufacturing units.
Ayurveda Industry In India
Major centers where the distribution channel of medicinal plants begins are
big cities like Raksal, Unjha, Thrissur, Shivpuri, Katni, Tuticorin and Siliguri.
Major expoerts tahes place from Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Tuticorin.
The success of Dabur, Baidyanath, Himalaya Drugs and Zandu bear
testimony to the growing demand for ayurvediic medicines.
The major reasons for this expanding domestic market are continous use by
the ever-increasing population and, to a certain extent a resurgence of faith
in tradional and natural ayurvedic concepts.
• The Unani System of Medicine has a long and impressive
record in India.
• It was introduced in India by the Arabs and Persians
sometime around the eleventh century.
• Today, India is one of the leading countries in so for as the
practice of Unani medicine is concerned.
• It has the largest number of Unani educational, research and
health care institutions.
Origin & Development of Unani System
• Unani system originated in Greece
• Hakim Ajmal Khan IS UNANI physician but also one of the foremost
freedom fighters in the country. He established an Ayurvedic and Unani
Tibbia College and Hindustani Dawakhana – a pharmaceutical company –
for Ayurvedic and Unani medicine in Delhi in 1916.
• Today the Unani system of medicine with hospitals and educational and
research institutions, forms an integral part of the national health care
Principles & Concepts
• According to the basic principles of Unani the body is made up of the four
basic elements i.e earth ,air, water, fire which have different temperaments
i.e. cold, hot, wet, dry. After mixing and interaction of four elements a new
compound having new temperament existence. i.e Hot wet, hot dry, cold
wet, and cold and dry.
• The body has the simple and compound organs which got their nourishment (
The substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition ) through
four humours i.e. blood, phlegm, yellow bile and black bile.
• The humour (put into a good mood) is also assigned temperament as blood is
hot and wet, Phlegm is cold and hot, Yellow bile is hot and dry and Black bile
is cold and dry.
• Phlegm is cold and hot ( Thick, sticky, stringy mucus secreted by the mucous
membrane of the respiratory tract, as during a cold or other respiratory
• Yellow bile is hot and dry (A yellow, or greenish, viscid fluid, usually alkaline in
reaction, secreted by the liver. It passes into the intestines, where it aids in the
• Black bile is cold and dry - a humor that was once believed to be secreted by
the kidneys or spleen and to cause sadness
• Unani medicine believes in promotion of health, prevention of diseases
• Health of human is based on the six essentials
1. Atmospheric air
2. Physical activity and rest
3. Drinks and foods
4. Sleep and wakefulness
5. Excretion and retention
6. Mental activity and rest
• The human body is considered to be made up of the following seven components
i. Elements (Arkan) - earth ,air, water, fire
ii. Temperament (Mizaj) - result of the interaction of these four elements.
iii.Humors (Akhlat)- nutrition, growth and repair; and produce energy
iv. Organs (Aaza)- various organs of the human body
v. Spirits (Arwah) - Ruh (Spirit) is a gaseous substance, obtained from the inspired air,
it helps in all the metabolic activities of the body
vi. Faculties (Quwa) – natural power, psychic power and vital power
vii. Functions (Afaal) - refers to the movements and functions of all the organs of the
• Nabz (pulse), a rhythmic expansion of arteries which is felt by fingers. The
reading of the pulse permits a rather straightforward assessment of several
• 1) which humor is out of balance;
• 2) what is the nature of the imbalance; i.e.,
excess of heat or coldness, wetness or dryness
3) which of the primary organs are effected.
• Other methods of diagnosis include: examination of Baul (urine), Baraz
• Contemporary methods: Pathological, X-ray, ultrasound, Cardiograms etc.
• The ten conditions of pulse observed during the diagnosis are:
iii. Duration of movement
iv. Condition of the vessel wall
vi. Duration of the rest period
vii. Palpitation of the pulse
viii. Equality and inequality
ix. Balance of the pulse
Prevention- The Six Essentials
(Asbab Sitta Zaruriya)
• Air (Environmental)
• Drinks & Food
• Sleep & Wakefulness
• Excretion & Retention
• Physical Activity & Rest
• Mental Activity & Rest
• Nutrition Supplements
• Primary Health care
• Oral & Documented Islamic
Traditional items & Recipes
Ilajbil Tadbeer (Regimenal Therapy) :- Some drugless regimens are
advised for the treatment of certain ailments i.e. Exercise, Massage,
Hamam(Turkish Bath), Douches (Cold and Hot), Fasd, Dalak, Kai
(cauterization), Ishaal (purging) and the Regimen for Geriatrics.
Ilajbil Ghiza ( Dietotherapy) ):-Different diets are recommended for the
patients of different diseases.
Ilajbil Dava (Pharmacotherapy) :- The basic concept of treatment is to
correct the cause of the disease that may be Abnormal temperament
due to environmental factors. Single and Compound Drugs like; Safuf,
Habub/Aqras, Electuaries, Confections, Triphalas, Decoctions etc.
Ilajbil Yad ( Surgery) (4th line of treatment).
Strenghth of Unani
Unani system of Medicine has very remarkable
strength in the following disorders:
• Skin disorders
• Digestive disorders
• Mental disorders
• Sexual disorders
• Gynecological disorders
• Neurological disorders
Blood Phlegm Yellow Bile Black Bile
Slackness of uvula Swollen eyelids Heart attack welling of liver
Diphtheria Shedding eyelashes Excessive appetite Jaundice
Coughing Conjunctivitis Vomiting Swelling of spleen
Pleurisy Styes Swelling of liver Flatulence
Swelling of liver Dilation of pupils Jaundice Arthritis
Hemorrhoids Dandruff of eyelids Hemorrhoids Gripe
Constant erection Ringing in ears Anal ulcer Colic
Swollen testicles Foul odor from nose Gripe Swelling of bladder
Convulsion of penis Enlarged tongue Burning urination Excessive libido
Cracked nails Bad taste in mouth Swollen testicles Low mother's milk
Bad breath Excess menstruation Swelling of womb
Canker sores Yellowed nails Varicose veins
Swollen palate Thickened nails
Whiteness of lips Skin cancer
• A therapy that uses aroma, or
essential oils, to improve your
quality of life.
WWhhaatt iiss aarroommaatthheerraappyy??
• Promotes health and prevents imbalances on the physical,
emotional and spiritual level.
• Aromatic Volatile Liquid of plants, flowers, leaves, blossoms, seeds,
bark, roots, fruits and berries.
• Essential oils are steam distilled or expressed.
• Highly concentrated.
• More potent than herbs – One drop represents the potency of one
ounce of plant material.
• Long history for using essential oils – Over 500 references in the
• Aromatherapy is thought to be at least 6,000 years old.
• The Egyptians where discovered to use it.
• A medical papyri from around 1555BC contained
remedies for various types of illnesses.
Aroma enters through olfactory system
The limbic system: directly communicates
with the “master glands.” The hypothalamus and
pituitary glands regulate many body functions including
hormones and the
Chemistry of oils determines therapeutic value
Uses for Aromatherapy
• Reduction of stress
• Enhance relaxation
• Relive anxiety
• Improving well-being
• Relieving psychosomatic symptoms
• Relieves emotionally related disorders
In some cases it helped
• Pain of arthritis
• Postpartum discomfort
• However, medical science can find no physical reasons for these
Common Essential Oils and Uses
• Lavender- heals burns and cuts, destroys bacteria
• Peppermint- alleviates digestive problems; relieves
headaches, and muscle pain
• Eucalyptus- lowers fever
• Tea Tree- Fights fungal, yeast, and bacterial infections
• Thyme- relieves pain in joints
Ways of Treatment for
• Inhalation- add essential oils to bowl of steaming water,
place towel over head and bowl, and breath deeply the
• Diffusion- spraying oil- containing compounds into the air
• Hot & Cold Compresses- for muscle aches and pains,
bruises, or headaches
• Direct or Neat Application- Apply essential oil diluted or
undiluted to a specific area for relaxation, pain, or wound
care. Oils can be layered for added effect
Ways of Treatment for
• Baths- mix the essential oil with a small amount of milk
or Epsom salts or sea salts to disperse the oil into the
water. Use 5-10 drops of essential oil.
• Massage- Rubbing aromatic oil into the skin
• Gargles- used for mouth irritation/sores/sore throats.
Add 2 drops of essential oil to a small amount of honey
or milk in cup; add 3-4 ounces of warm water. Gargle,
swish and spit.
Homeopathy = homois (similar) + pathos (suffering)
Homeopathy simply means treating diseases with remedies,
prescribed in minute doses, which are capable of producing
symptoms similar to the disease when they taken by the
healthy people. It is based on the natural law of healing.
“Similia Similibus Curantur ” which means “Likes are cured by
Basically homeopathy allows the body to heal itself by
triggering body’s natural immune response
Eg: caffeine can treat insomnia
DISCOVERY OF HOMEOPATHY
Homeopathy began in the late 1700s, developed by a German doctor
named Samuel Hahnemann.
Hahnemann was dissatisfied with the often-severe treatments that were
being used and was looking for a more natural way to treat illnesses
He discovered the law of similar after he consumed cinchona bark extract
(used to cure malaria) which produces the same symptoms as malaria
So he had led to the inference that medicine cure disease only because
they can produce similar symptoms in healthy individuals. The whole of
homoeopathy derives from this Law
Homeopathy achieved its greatest popularity in the 19th century.
The first homeopathic schools opened in 1830
Eventually homeopathy reached all over Europe, United States and Asia
HOMEOPATHY USES SIMILAR SUFFERING TO RESTORE
(SIMILIA SIMILIBUS CURENTUR OR LIKE CURES LIKE)
Do you know what the remedies Allium–cepa, Apis and Lachesis
are prepared from?
▪ One of several common hay
fever remedies, prepared
from the red onion
▪ A healthy person chopping an
onion will often get a runny
nose and streaming eyes.
▪ Angry red swellings
(whatever the cause)
may be treated with
Apis made from the
sting of a bee.
Angry red swellings
(whatever the cause) may be
treated with Apis made from
the sting of a bee.
▪ Blood poisoning may
be treated with
Lachesis, or other
remedies made from
a snake’s venom
Blood poisoning may be
treated with Lachesis, or
other remedies made from a
HOMEOPATHY IN INDIA
▪ The history of Homoeopathy in India is linked with the name of Dr. Honigberger, a
French man who brought homoeopathy to India in 1830’s.
▪ The 'Calcutta Homeopathic Medical College', the first homeopathic medical
college was established in 1881. This institution took on a major role in popularising
homeopathy in India.
▪ In 1973, the Government of India recognised homeopathy as one of the national
systems of medicine and set up the Central Council of Homeopathy (CCH) to
regulate its education and practice.
▪ Now, only qualified registered homeopaths can practice homeopathy in India.
▪ At present, in India, homeopathy is the third most popular method of medical
treatment after allopathy and Ayurveda.
▪ There are over 200,000 registered homeopathic doctors currently, with
approximately 12,000 more being added every year.
Balancing vital energy to promote body’s self healing response
▪ Law of similars
▪ Substance that cause similar symptoms in healthy person as the patient can cure the
▪ Theory of infinitesimals (dilution)
▪ A remedy is prepared by ultra diluting it(potentization) . Homeopaths believe this method
preserves the effects of remedy despite dilution
▪ Mother tincture = remedy solved in small amount of water or alcohol
▪ Remedy is shaken vigorously to retain the properties of mother
▪ Banged few times against a solid object ( believed to transfer
essence and energy)
▪Unmedicated pills or sugar pills are dipped in the remedy and dried. The essence is now transferred to
▪A pill with essence of remedy allowed to come in contact with other sugar pills whereby other pills also
acquire the essence
Patients will be asked about their medical history, diet,
lifestyle, physical and emotional state
Suitable remedy will be prescribed
Every remedy is made to suit the patient’s individual symptoms
• Pranic healing is a claimed energy
healing system developed and promoted
by Choa Kok Sui which claims
that prana(energy) can heal ailments in
the body by manipulation of the person's
• Pranic healing is like
acupuncture and yoga in that it treats
the "energy body" which in turn affects
the "physical body".
• "The primary principle of pranic healing
is utilising the inherent energy prana or
energy of life in all beings for self-healing.
• Pranic Healing® requires no drugs,
gadgets, not even physical contact
with the subject.
• Physical contact is not required
because the practitioner is working on
the bioplasmic or energy body and not
directly on the physical body.
• This energy body, or aura, is the mold
or blueprint that surrounds and
interpenetrates the physical body. It is
the energy body that absorbs life
energy and distributes it throughout
the physical body, to the muscles,
organs, glands, etc.
• The reason Pranic
Healing® works on the
energy body is that
physical ailments first
appear as energetic
disruptions in the aura
before manifesting as
problems in the physical
Basic Pranic Healing
• Course outline
First Aid Treatment
Stress Management and Self Healing
Experience Inner Peace and Emotional
• Bring down body temperature in just few minutes
• Fast healing of minor ailments like cough, cold, migrane etc
• Major diseases like eye, kidney and heart problems can be
relieved in just few sessions
• Improved health and stamina
• Recharges your body
• Better memory and concentration
• Better intrpersonal skills
• Greater self esteem
• Attain the ability to attract good luck and become more