An Introduction to Skills Scan
● Based on the Electronic Training Needs Analysis
(ETNA) survey developed by RSC Scotland
● Provides strategic information to decision makers within
the institution to help identify training needs and inform
● Need to incorporate other educational sectors (WBL,
● Demand to incorporate key aspects of digital literacies
into the survey
The staff development challenge...
The work of art depicted in this image and the reproduction thereof are in the public domain worldwide. The reproduction is part of a collection of reproductions compiled by The Yorck
Project. The compilation copyright is held by Zenodot Verlagsgesellschaft mbH and licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
How does it work?
Contact your Jisc Regional Support Centre to set up an initial
consultation to identify:-
● What staff development issues you would you like to
● What questions you would like to include?
● Over what timescale would you like to carry out the survey?
● Which staff within your organisation would you like to target?
● How granular would you like the feedback report to be?
The Jisc RSC advisor, facilitates the meeting, creates the
survey, analyses the data and provides feedback and any
The Skills Scan allows you to:
● Tailor the questions to your specific needs ✔
● Identify gaps in current staff skills and
● Target specific roles within your organisation
(i.e. Curriculum, Support, etc) ✔
● Plan meaningful staff development activities
based on demand and pitch ✔
● Access support in developing resources to
support staff development ✔
● Be safe in a digital environment
● Find evaluate and apply
● Use digital tools
● Showcase achievement
● Awareness and management of digital
● Collaborate – education, community & work
Tailoring the Skills Scan to your
● Can be branded with your logo to give more
● Questions tailored to your needs & can be added
● Questions can be targeted at different roles
● Survey results can be mapped to training resources
for the elements of DL
● Pilot at Northwest college focused on HE
Screen shot of master question
bank to show how it can be
● Your Jisc RSC can provide training for
selected, identified areas for development
● After deciding on priorities organisations can
discuss their options with their RSC
● They will provide you with an offer of training
or direct you to other training opportunities
● Recommended training resources for each
element of DL will be included in the report
Be safe in a digital environment: SD
● Jisc RSC support and guidance on esafety.
● Jisc Legal's template esafety policy.
● Jisc RSC Eastern's esafety Moodle course.
● Jisc Netskills advice and guidance on
developing a social media strategy.
● Jisc Infonet’s e-Safety Toolkit
● Building a Professional Online Presence -
Moodle course material
● Prince’s Trust - Digital Literacy Survey 2013
● Students...Kick-Start Your Personal Brand
● How to Clean Up Your Online Presence and
Make a Great First Impression.
● How To Use Twitter To Help You Find A Job.
Over to you….
You can see an example of the Skills Scan
If you would like to carry out a Skills Scan at your
organisation or would like to know more contact:-
Northwest region: Anthony Beal
Yorkshire & Humber region: Scott Hibberson
#jiscdiglit (You must be a supported learning
provider to qualify for this service)