How is mobile gaming different from other
• Portable : You can carry around your game with you, and play it
when you’re bored! Great for those short periods of time when
you have nothing else to do
• Special Features: The latest mobile games make use of
smartphone features such as gyroscope, accelerometer, touch
• Simple: Think about it! It’s the simple arcade and puzzle-style
games that have been most successful so far.
Why should you develop games for mobile?
• Explore new areas: Mobile application development for
smartphones is a new paradigm, you could come up with the next
• Simple and effective: You can build a pretty simple game for
mobile and it could still become a mega hit
• Fun: Mobile game development is fun, as we’ll see shortly
• Profit: Develop a game using minimum resources, yet you could
make a lot of money
Types of Mobile Games – From a developer’s perspective
• Physics/Puzzle: Angry Birds, Cut the Rope
• Endless Runners: Temple Run
• Flick: Flick Golf
• Action/Adventure (on-screen controls): Caligo Chaser
• Everything!: Pocket God
Game Engines for Mobile
• Do we really need to use game engines? Not really.
• But a game engine gives the best and most efficient solution
• Examples for game engines on mobile (2D): Cocos2D, AndEngine
• Game Engines let you apply things like,
• Collision detection
• Sensor management
easily on your mobile game.
• One of the most popular game engines for Android
• https://github.com/nicolasgramlich/AndEngine - Source Code
• http://andengine.com – Official website
• Free and Open Source
• Has been used to develop great games: Chalk Ball, Wheelz, Farm
Tower and many more
Let’s develop a game!
• We have a 3-wheeler
• Oncoming traffic
• Move forward without hitting any of the traffic