Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV): Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is viral respiratory illness first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012. It is caused by a coronavirus called MERS-CoV.
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
MIDDLE EAST RESPIRATORY SYNDROME
WHAT IS IT?
• MIDDLE EAST RESPIRATORY SYNDROME (MERS) IS VIRAL RESPIRATORY ILLNESS FIRST REPORTED IN
SAUDI ARABIA IN 2012. IT IS CAUSED BY A CORONAVIRUS CALLED MERS-COV.
• MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED TO HAVE MERS-COV INFECTION DEVELOPED SEVERE
ACUTE RESPIRATORY ILLNESS.
• THEY HAD FEVER, COUGH, AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH.
• ABOUT 30% OF PEOPLE CONFIRMED TO HAVE MERS-COV INFECTION HAVE DIED.
VIROLOGY & ORIGIN
• new member of the beta group of coronavirus
• positive-sense, single-stranded RNA
• distinct from SARS and the common-cold coronavirus
• The first confirmed case was reported in Saudi Arabia 2012.
• Egyptian virologist Dr. Ali Mohamed Zaki isolated and identified a previously
unknown coronavirus from the man's lungs.
• A second case was found in September 2012 in Qatar
• As of 14 May 2014, MERS-CoV cases have been reported in several countries,
including Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Jordan, Qatar, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates,
Tunisia, Kuwait, Oman, Algeria, Bangladesh, the Philippines (still MERS-free),
Indonesia (none was confirmed), the United Kingdom, and the United States.
• WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN WITH SOAP AND WATER FOR 20 SECONDS, AND HELP
YOUNG CHILDREN DO THE SAME. IF SOAP AND WATER ARE NOT AVAILABLE, USE
AN ALCOHOL-BASED HAND SANITIZER.
• COVER YOUR NOSE AND MOUTH WITH A TISSUE WHEN YOU COUGH OR SNEEZE,
THEN THROW THE TISSUE IN THE TRASH.
• AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES, NOSE AND MOUTH WITH UNWASHED HANDS.
• AVOID PERSONAL CONTACT, SUCH AS KISSING, OR SHARING CUPS OR EATING
UTENSILS, WITH SICK PEOPLE.
• CLEAN AND DISINFECT FREQUENTLY TOUCHED SURFACES SUCH AS TOYS AND
• THERE IS NO SPECIFIC ANTIVIRAL TREATMENT RECOMMENDED FOR MERS-COV
• INDIVIDUALS WITH MERS CAN SEEK MEDICAL CARE TO HELP RELIEVE SYMPTOMS.
• FOR SEVERE CASES, CURRENT TREATMENT INCLUDES CARE TO SUPPORT VITAL
ALL THE PICTURES ARE TAKEN FROM
FOLLOWING DIFFERENT WEBSITES
1_30_18.JPG (SLIDE 1)
,_ARTWORK-SPL-1.JPG (IMAGE AT SLIDE 3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
RMATTER_SLIDE/MERS%20INFOGRAPHIC.JPG (SLIDE 5)
CONTENT/UPLOADS/2014/04/MERS_ENG_22APR_1030AM.JPG (SLIDE 6)