Leicester Tech Startups: Retrospective and Ideas for 2014
Leicester Tech Startups
Plans & Ideas for 2014
• Wanted my company to become more
• Decided to create an entrepreneur-led
community of startups following Brad Feld’s
‘Boulder Thesis’ model
• Aimed at engaging with the whole ecosystem
not just the startups themselves
• Rejecting top-down public sector leadership
and zero sum game mentality
What is a ‘Startup’?
• “An organization designed to search for a
repeatable and scalable business model”
• “A human institution designed to deliver a
new product or service under conditions of
extreme uncertainty” (Eric Reis)
• A startup is not a smaller version of a large
What happened in 2013?
26 Open Coffee meetups
Regular Lean Startups events
First Startup Café at University of Leicester
NASA Space Apps Challenge Hackathon
Launch48 Startup Weekend
A few socials
500+ names on invite list
Google Group with 78 members
Support from LCC and UoL and local supplier
…plus MacGuffin, Movieville, TheUniMarket, Spectral-ID & Vidquote
• A lot of people doing their startups in their spare time
or alongside other jobs
• Individuals held back due to lack of certain skills (e.g.
• Timing of events excludes some people (e.g. 9-5
workers and students)
• Still some awareness and trust barriers to break down
• Need more ‘doing’ events
• Not quite at a ‘critical mass’ stage
• No superstar success story yet
• Still somewhat reliant on a few key individuals
• Community activity is currently limited to events.
Future plans & suggestions
Find more existing startups?
More engagement with our universities?
Increase diversity of participants?
Establish a news source? (e.g.
More evening/weekend events & socials?
More doing events (e.g. hackathons & startup
Learn more from other cities?
Is establishing a ‘tech hub’ feasible/desirable?
What’s holding you back?
What skills/experience/connections do you lack?
What events would you like to attend?
What facilities would help you?
Have you seen this done better elsewhere?
• What and who do you know?
• How can you contribute?