The DASHBOARD Project
KNOW OUR TEAM
Observium connection and monitoring. Host
configuration at all levels.
SJSU ID: 009984559
EXPERT PROXMOX VE and Nagios CORE monitoring
Setup the Infrastructure for
the project. Installation and
configuration of Vmware
vSphere and Observium.
SJSU ID: 010024391
GURUDesigning of Customized API’s and
execution of complex tasks on VM’s
SJSU ID: 010011677
In industries such as banking, applications are complex because of multiple layers of systems. When an application tends to scale out,
analytical tracking of the data becomes a primary concern. Hence there is a need for multiple monitoring tools, which proves to be a burden on the
network administrator. This makes the job of a network admin difficult in terms of tracking individual tools and executing appropriate tasks to make
sure the system uptime is at the max.
Unfortunately, there is not a single solution to extract data from multiple layers of system resources to provide a graphical and statistical data
representation. A solution that is an
Administrative tool that incorporates multiple layers of systems like ESXi and KVM (Opensource and Proprietary). There is also a lack of options to
perform operations on a group of machines.
• All in one solution to vSphere
Varieties of API’s for Virtual
• Effective management ofthe
A Dashboard that could have seemless integration of everything you need to monitor on a Virtual
vSphere and Observium
Ananth Christy George
1. VMware Workstation 11
2. VMware vSphere ESXi bare-metal Hypervisor
3. vSphere Client (Desktop based .exe)
4. vCenter Server Appliance (.ovf template)
5. vCenter Web Client (.php – hostname:9443)
7. Turnkey Linux Server Appliance
8. VM Tools
9. SNMP and MySQL configuration
Listed below are the software’s that were used for this project.
Windows 8.1 and above(preferred)
RAM: 6 gb (suggested 8 gb )
Processor Cores: 4
Datastore Storage = 60 gb (minimum)
VM’s storage = 5 to 15 gb
VM OSes/iso’s = Ubuntu
Ananth Christy George
vSphere is self-driven and challenging
A bit of common sense, technical skills and snacks
TIME, Patience and System performance is key
Ananth Christy George
1. Install an ESXi Hypervisor as the base VM on VMware
2. Assign static IP which is to be accessed over the browser
3. Install vSphere client over the desktop and choose to install
vCenter server appliance using the ovf template.
4. Observium has a simlar counterpart called Turnkey Linux server
5. Installation also prompts us to install mysql, php and most
6. Configure the SNMP file to ‘public’ which makes it ready to use.
7. Once setup is done. You are good to go!
21 Different API’s
UTILITIES USING JAVA API
• VM API’s are references which allow comprehensive information about all data structures
available through vSphere API
• Enables developers to create a custom solution for managing VM components.
TOTAL NUMBER OF VM’s TURN ON PARTICULAR MACHINE SYSTEM SUMMARY OF ALL VM’s
TURN ON ALL MACHINES TURN OFF PARTICULAR MACHINES CREATE SNAPSHOTS
TURN OFF ALL MACHINE PING ALL MACHINES REMOVE ALL SNAPSHOTS
UTILITIES USING JAVA API contd.
REMOVE PARTICULAR SNAPSHOT
RENAME PARTICULAR VM
LIST ALL SNAPSHOTS
NUMBER OF HOSTS & DETAILS
Get all VM's name/IP/OS
Shut down all Machines
ON all machines
Turn OFF particular machine
Turn ON particular machine
Ping all machines
Ping particular machine
Get number of hosts and
Total Number of VM
List all snapshots
Remove all snapshots
of a particular machine
Remove particular snapshot
Rename particular machine
Create a NEW VM
On-click creation and
deletion of Virtual
Machine’s on pre-
execution that creates
snapshots of every
machine present on the
ESXi server, daily.
Structured data of usage
information obtained from
during VM shutdown.
Intelligent algorithm that
runs a system check to
start a VM in normal state
or last working state.
Suspends all VM’s on a
single click by checking
the current power state of
CREATE/REMOVE VM’s DAILY SNAPSHOTS PERFORMANCE STATISTICS DISASTER RECOVERY EMERGENCY SUSPENSION
WHAT IS OBSERVIUM?
PHP MySQL based
WIDE RANGE OF NETWORK
HARDWARE AND OS SUPPORT
What is Network Monitoring?
Why Network Monitoring?
What happens in Observium-Network Monitoring?
ROLE OF OBSERVIUM
•VISUALIZATION THROUGH GRAPHS
•MATRIX COLLECTION FOR GRAPHS
•TRACK SYSTEM FAILURE
WHAT TOOLS DOES OBSERVIUM USE?
SNMP CollectD RRD
LINUX KVM and
Opensource Virtualization management and monitoring solutions
WHAT IS PROXMOX VE
EASY VIRTUALIZATION, FAST, SIMPLE and FLEXIBLE
• Complete Virtualization Management solution for servers
• Based on KVM Hypervisor and Open VZ container virtualization
• Proxmox is not about cloud but Virtualization.
Virtualization using KVM
Containers [Open VZ]
Command line interface
#pvecm status| nodes|
Old kernel 2.6.32 does not support LXC
Lack of Firewalls
Cannot run on USB pendrives
Rich Web Client Role based administration
Multiple login modules
RESTful web API’s
Backup and Restore
VLAN Resource Management
#qm #pveam update
Some issues with backups
WHAT IS NAGIOS CORE
Opensource sytemand network monitoring application
• Monitoring of Network services and host
• Users can develop their own plug-ins for service
• Ability to define network host heirarchy or groups
• Alert notificationis via e-mail or user defined
• Web interface for weaving
• Monitor your entire IT infrastructure
• Spot problems before they occur
• Detect scurity breaches
• Plan and budget for IT upgrades
• Reduce downtime and business losses
• Historical reporting