Quizzers FPL Community Quiz No.12 Pradyoth, Prasanth & Raouf
1.• X, Rubin Kazan, Inter Milan, Y, Zerez, Al Sadd, Cadiz, Gramanet, Murcia, Udinese.• X and Y make the list an exhaustive one. The list is not in any particular order.• What list? And which teams are X and Y?
2.Someone tweeted an explanation for something he did thus:• “Do you not get excited when you see a 6 ft, with long blonde hair and legs out about to hit the target!!”• Who explaining what??
3. Id X.• X has sort of specialized, over the years, in scoring from a particular area which the media entitled “Gol alla X” or “The X Zone”. This involved coming through the left flank and curling it into the far top corner.
4. Id X and the nickname.• Confused by his surname, Platini and Houllier tried to recruit him for France. Actually, he had no French ancestry at all. Also, X had a nickname Y. X said that though he was okay with that, the club got many letters from religious groups asking X to come out in public and state that he was not Y.
5.• There are several theories regarding the origin of this term. Two of them are:• The Northumberland miners preferred the lamp invented by George Stephenson to that invented by Sir Humphrey Davy - eventually, the miners themselves became called X.• In 1826, George Stephenson gave evidence to a Parliamentary Commission on Railways at which his blunt speech and dialect drew contemptuous sneers. From that date Londoners began to call the Keelmen who carried coal from the _____ to the Thames. X?
6. X and the club. The blanks are NOT the same.• Sir Henry Percy was also named Harry X. The nickname X was due to his impulsive nature. His family owned large amounts of land in _______ which prompted the local club to be named after him. He was famed for his fighting cocks which were fitted with _____ .
7. Who is X?• Port Vale F.C is a club that plays in Football League Two. X, a popular singer, is a huge fan who owns shares in the club as well. X sang the theme song for FIFA 2000 titled “It’s Only Us” on the condition that Port Vale F.C was also included in the game though FIFA 2000 did not have Football League Two. Still, the team was included in the Rest Of The World section.
8. Which group?• X, a business group, features in this quiz due to a sponsorship of theirs. The CEO of the company is Reinhold Schulte. The company is one of the biggest Insurance firms in Germany. The Groups two originating groups have been closely associated from the very start with small and medium businesses in the crafts, trades and commerce. X traces its origins to an initiative by independent craftspeople and businesspeople who formed a health and death benefits fund in Hamburg in 1906.
9.• The wrens are birds in the mainly New World family Troglodytidae. There are approximately 80 species of true wrens in approximately 20 genera. The genus eponymous of the family is Troglodytes. By what name are wrens known in South America which is why they feature in this quiz?
10.• The Yugoslav Wars were a series of wars, fought throughout the former Yugoslavia from 1991 to 1995, between the republics who sought sovereignty on one side and the government in Belgrade on the other side that wanted to either prevent their independence or keep large chunks of their territory under its control. However,these wars indirectly led to unexpected joy in a Nordic country located (predominantly) between the North and Baltic seas. How? (yup,it IS a football question )
11.• There was this 80s survey in France conducted by Lequipe to find out who was the most hated German in France. Hitler was 2nd in the poll. Who was 1st?
• 12. In 2006, Marko Marin won the Silver Medal in the Fritz-Walter trophy for young German players. Who won Gold and Bronze??
13. Connect these players. Also who is their predecessor?
14. Who be X?In September 1996, when X was 11, X witnessed the stabbing of his mother by his father who was later jailed for 15 years. "This will stay with me for my entire life. Id give anything for my mother to be still alive," said X later. X subsequently gave up football but was motivated by his uncle, who himself once captained the national team. X wears a diminutive form of his first name on his club jersey.
15. Which group is missing?• Yid Army• Zulus• Red Army• Bushwackers
16.• X tweeted at Y : @Y do u wanna go there publicly "Mr Squeaky Clean" ? Think u should have a look in that vast closet of skeltons before u respond.• What resulted?
17. He was a reasonably competent footballer andcaptained his team to their only league title in the modernera. However, his name is more familiar to us as one of thetwo names in a famous quote. What quote?
18.• What contrasting nicknames, originating in another sport, were given to Mark Hughes because of his imposing physicality and to Gary Linekar because of his scoring abilities, when they played together at Barcelona?
19.• X was a notorious chain smoker, but never seemed short of breath when he chased down balls in the final third, which was a defining feature of his game. As powerful as he was skilful, he scored 4 goals in the 1986 FIFA WC and was voted the Third best player at the World Cup.• Who?
20.• The guy given in the picture could not pronounce a name correctly. What he said instead led to a famous nickname. Which nickname? Who is he?
21.• Laurent Robert scored a spectacular freekick for Newcastle United against Liverpool in the 2004-2005 season in a match which Newcastle United won 2-1. Other than on Greatest Free Kicks in the Premier League Compilations, where have we seen this goal?
22.• Someones quote about having a famous moment he was a part of , reused in popular culture. "I got absolutely slaughtered by the lads... to be fair I was a bit embarrassed by it."• Who and what?
23.• Mr. Sidney Duncan of Sunderland started a newspaper in 1983 and named it The _________. It only ran to 12 issues, during which time Duncan, who pretty much wrote the whole thing himself, doubled the cover price in an attempt to cut circulation because he found the effort of handling all the money he was making so tiresome. How do we know this name today?
24.• During his second spell with Bayern Munich in 2005 and 2006, he wore the shirt number 69. Clarifying that it wasnt a lewd gesture, he said this was because he was born in 1969, his height is 1.69 m and he weighed 69 kg. Who?
25.• They were the first team outside the big 5 to ever win the Argentine domestic championship in 1967. They were also one of the first teams ever to be accused of playing anti-football because of their physical violence and due to its frequent resort to timewasting tactics. The Times called them one of the most despicable teams ever to emerge from South America. They have won 5domestic titles in all and have won the Copa Libertadores 4 times. Which team famously coached by Oswaldo Zubeldia and Carlos Bilardo, among others?
26.• X was nicknamed "La Furia _____", a slight wordplay on the on the phrase Furia Cieca, meaning "Blind Fury". It was also a reference to his nationality. Identify X who is also on the Board of Directors of a club which he served with much distinction.
27.• In his homeland, he is known by a name which would suggest that hes the South American equivalent of a cowboy. The name we all know him by is actually a diminutive of his actual name, and is a term of endearment. Who?
28.• He is widely considered the greatest player from his nation. He coached a club side in his country for 3 years from 91-94 and then was appointed as the national team coach in 1997. He led them to the 98 WC, but was fired mid-WC, after a disastrous defeat in their second game. He blamed the country’s FA for the bad performance and alleged that the countrys national league was fixed. He was banned subsequently for 5 years and left the country.• Who and which country?
29.• Andres Montes , the eccentric Spanish Commentator who coined the term tiki-taka gave X the nickname Y. Because, according to him, in the case of Spain, X was the one who kept playing it again and again and again and again.• X and Y?
30• X was the first person to play in a major tournament after a transplant which he had in 2007 for his kidneys. He also scored a goal which thought would win it for his side but heartbreak was to follow when it was followed by an immediate equaliser and his side lost on penalties. Who was X?