B O R N : J U N E 6 , 1 7 9 9 , M O S C O W, R U S S I A
D E C E A S E D : F E B R UA R Y 1 0 , 1 8 3 7 , P E T E R S B U R G ,
R U S S I A
Author & Poet
• Was of African descent
• Born into upper class literary family
• Actual mother took little interest in him, so had nurses/ French tutors
• Loved his nanny Arina Rodionovna, like mother figure more
• Entered an elite school called the Lyceum at age 12
• Began working in the foreign office of St. Petersburg, Russia
• (Where he had affairs with two married women)
• This museum, honoring the greatest poet in
• Monument of Alexander Pushkin in front of the
Entered the Lyceum in 1811 which was only open for the sons of 'select'
Graduated from the Lyceum in 1817
Taught by the great poet Vasily Zhukovsky
Russian poet, novelist, playwright of the Romantic era
Pushkin's work in short stories shows simplicity, versatility and clarity.
In short stories showed satire, romance, and drama.
Which later influenced Russian writers
influenced most of Russian
& many more..
• Engaged for 3 years
• In love
• Settled on agreements
• Published Natalya Goncharova as a
• Finally married on 18 February1831 in
Wrote his first published poem, To a Poet Friend at the age of 14
Wrote Freedom in 1817, but wasn’t published until his death
Ruslan and Ludmila, written in 1820 was first major poem
Wrote several dramas including Boris Godunov in 1831
Wrote his masterpiece, Eugene Onegin, in 1823-31 which later became a Tchaikovsky
Russian literary prize established in 1881- Present
in honor of Alexander Pushkin one of Russia’s greatest writers.
Awarded by the Russian Academy of Sciences to Russian authors
(who achieved the highest standard of literary excellence)
Winners include : (Anton Chekov & Ivan Bunin)
Russia-Ukraine-Travel.com, . N.p.. Web. 29 Jun 2013. <http://www.russia-
. N.p.. Web. 29 Jun 2013. <http://712educators.about.com/blapushkin.htm>.
"Lizok's Bookshelf." : Happy Birthday to “Наше всё" & Newish Translations. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 29 June 2013.
"Prominent Russians: Aleksandr Pushkin." Aleksandr Pushkin – Russiapedia
Literature Prominent Russians. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 June 2013.
"Monument to Alexander Pushkin on Ploshchad Iskusstv (Arts Square)."
Monument to Pushkin on Arts Square in St. Petersburg. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 June 2013.