What is Yeoman?
• A collection of tools and best practices working in harmony to make
developing for the web even better.
• Aimed at reducing setup time and mundane tasks in order to
concentrate on the job at hand.
• Chrome Developer relations team and select external contributors
from the community, such as Paul Irish, Addy Osmani and Eric
‘Yeoman is not just a tool but a workflow’:
• YO (Create a new webapp)
• BOWER ( Handle dependencies )
• GRUNT ( Preview, test build )
• A package manager for the web. Eg. Bootstrap-sass
• Lock versions, and use it for distribution
• Maintained by Twitter and the open – source community
• No system wide dependencies, no cross project dependencies
• Build Tool (CI)
• Automation of repetitive developer configurable tasks
• Allows developers to test and preview
- Live Reload
• Install Yeoman
npm install –g yo
• Search for a generator
npm search yeoman-generator
• Install a generator globally
npm install –g generator-webapp
• Run generator to desired location
• Add additional packages
bower install angular
• Create a baseline for ALL devs
• Improve existing solutions
• Sharing best practises
• Implementation with Continuous Integration
- Unit testing (Karma)
- Screen capture comparisons (PhotoBox)
• Saves time
• Build your own generator?
• Umbraco, Sitecore, Codagenic Reactive generators
- Export assets to appropriate folders based on directory structure
- Integrate Grunt file into MSBuild
• The Landscape Of Front-end Development Automation
• Why grunt? Why not something else?