“To be fully engaged, we must be
physically energized, emotionally
connected, mentally focused and
spiritually aligned with a purpose
beyond our self-interest.”
— Jim Loehr & Tony Schwartz,
The Power of Full Engagement
Enabling Engagement: A3 Management
The vital role of
Kaizen Event – Definition
A two- to five-day focused improvement
activity during which a sequestered,
cross-functional team designs and
implements improvements to a defined
process or work area, generating rapid
results and learned behavior.
Karen Martin & Mike Osterling
The Kaizen Event Planner
“I went home yesterday and told my
family that it was one of the best
working days I’ve ever had.
I was able to fully use my
capabilities for three days.”
— Fred Valenzano, Professional Engineer
Where to Start?
• Improve your onboarding process.
• Train a core group of middle managers and/or above
in problem solving and improvement coaching.
• Transition your dedicated improvement
professionals from “do-ers” to “teachers.”
• Hold a few kaizen events each year to instill new
behaviors & shift culture.
• Make improvement part of everyone’s job.
• Never, ever make process improvement without
deep involvement of the people who actually do the
• Advocate the truth that people aren’t the problem –
Signing in the
Also available in the
Karen Martin, Principal
7770 Regents Road #635
San Diego, CA 92122
For Further Questions
Monthly newsletter: www.ksmartin.com/subscribe