A short bullet point presentation used at the workshop for 2.0 participatory innovation practices for cultural insitutions held at CCCB-Lab, on April 22nd by the members of CItilab Expolab project. The first in a series of workshops.
• The 2.0: tradition: collaborative construction
• The Open Innovation thread
• The Design thread
• Designing with, for, by users
• Participatory Institutions
Steps in Social Participation the Me-to-we” model “
(adapted from Simon, 2010)
Stpe 5 Social construction interactions between individuals
Step 4 Individual actions on the net to have a social use
Step 3 Individual actions in the net as an aggregate
Step 2 Individuals interact with content
Step 1 Individual as consumers of content
Which is your goal?
Arnstein participation scale
(adapted from Menichinelli 2005)
• Difussion Level Citizen
Complete delegation of al decision making and its
Level 7 Power Some power delegation
Level 6 Partnership The public already can negotiate with power
administrators, even aspects suchas roles,
responsibilities and levels of control.
Level 5 Involvement The point of view of the public has some inﬂuence but the
usual power holders stil are the decision makers
Level 4 Consultation Public has a voice but no power to ensure that their ideas
are ﬁnally adopted.
Level 3 Information The public is informat about what is going to happen,
happens or has happened.
Level 2 Education Passive public that receives partial or directe information
Level 1 Manipulation
Types of interacion
• Difussion (through degrees of separation)
• Following (shared surveillance or detection)
• Aggregation (opinions, examples, cases)
• Discussion (in a sense, a reﬁnement of aggregations)
• Selection (shared patterns of selection
• Co-creation (action, construction in precise points an spaces)
The centre as a..
Method: it depends
(this is not a sequence)
• Identify lead users
• Inﬂuence: very fragile
• Inform and approach
• Inspire: respect their forms
users as partners
• Involve: ressonte with
their life interestes
• Ideo, (2008) Human-Centered Design Toolkit.: IDEO.
• Jennings, G. (2000) (Ed.) Visitor-Generated Content and Design. Exhibitionist 28(2).
• Jones, P. (2008). Socialization of practice in a process world:Toward participatory organizations. In
Proceedings of Participatory Design Conference 2008, Indiana University, Oct 1-4 2008.
• Menichinelli, M. (2008). openp2pdesign.org_1.1. Accesible en: http://www.scribd.com/doc/
• Menichinelli M., Reti collaborative. Il design per una auto-organizzazione Open Peer-to-Peer, Tesi di
laurea, rel. Ezio Manzini, Politecnico di Milano, A.A. 2004/05 http://www.openp2pdesign.org
• Simon, N (2010). The Participatory Museum. Libro accesible en: http://
• Shirky, C (2009) Here Comes Everybody: the power of organizing without organizations. Penguin
• Von Hippel, E. (2006) Democratizing Innovation. The MIT Press 2006. Accesible aquí: http://