Industrial safety is primarily a management activity which is concerned
• Eliminating hazards from the industries or industrial units.
1. MEANING OF INDUTRIAL SAFETY
HUMAN FACTORS CONTRIBUTION OF ACCIDENTS
UNSAFE ACTION FACTORS
PSYCHO-SOCIALAND PERSONAL FACTORS
1.UNSAFE ACTION FACTORS
1) Failure to use Personal Protective equipments
2) Operating with out authority
3) Making Safety devises inoperative
4) Use unsafe equipment and improper tools
5) Taking unsafe position or posture
6) Working on moving equipments
2.Psycho-social and personal factors
2) Health condition
3) Home environment
4) Factory environment
5) Financial position
6) Addiction to intoxication
7) Reckless attitude
8) Day dreaming
9) Over confidence
10) Emotional instability
11) Dislike of supervisor
12) Marital status
13) Physical Problems(Vision,
fatigue, hearing ,reaction
To prevent accidents in the plant by reducing the hazard to
To eliminate accident caused work stoppage and lost
To achieve lower workmen’s compensation, and reduce all other
direct and indirect costs of accidents.
OBJECTIVES OF INDUSTRIAL SAFETY
To prevent loss of life, permanent disability and the loss of income of worker
by eliminating causes of accidents.
To evaluate employee’s morale by promoting safe work
place and good working condition.
To educate all members of the organization
in continuous state of safety mindless
and to make supervision competent and
intensely safety minded.
Engineering: i.e. safety at the design, equipment installation stage.
Education: i.e. education of employees in safe practices.
Enlistment: i.e. it concerns the attitude of the employees and
management towards the programmed and its purpose. This necessary
arose the interest of employees in accident prevention and safety
Encouragement: i.e. to enforce adherence to safe rules and practices.
FOUR E’S OF SAFETY
1. LINE ORGANIZATION: The entire responsibility fall in
the line that is from the top level to worker level, every one is
responsible regarding safety aspect. Many of the small scale
industries follow this type of organization which does not
have a separate department of safety.
2. SAFETY DIRECTOTATE: A Safety manager directs this
organization. The effectiveness mainly depends on the
activities of the manager .His essential duties are creating
awareness among the employees, periodic inspection to
locate unsafe conditions and identifying the unsafe act,
conducting safety programs, maintaining injury and illness
records and investigation of accidents etc.,
3. COMMITTEE ORGANIZATION: Is standard in many corporate
safety organizations found to be a very effective in accident
prevention. The committee should be small enough for effective
work, but large enough to provide the knowledge required to serve
When Starting the committee we should ensure the:
1. Mission or responsibility of the committee
2. Authority, Including a budget, if any, afforded the committee
3. Procedures, i.e., frequency of meetings, start – up times and duration,
agenda, attendance requirements, minutes or records to be kept ,and
to whom reports are to be submitted.
GENERALLY THERE ARE THREE TYPES
1] Executive Committee
2] Technical Committee
3] central safety committee
This Committee acts in behalf of top management in
supervising and controlling the safety efforts. A company
employing several thousand workers, with an outstanding
safety record has an executive committee
A Combination of various departmental heads and managers
and supervisory staff will be appointed as members. It has
responsibility in correcting unsafe conditions or unsafe practices
that it may discover.
Major Principal functions of the central safety committee:
1. Planning and actions of programmes for safety measures in the field of
2. Follow the recent trends and developments in the prevention of accidents.
3. Conducting safety programmes to promote and propagate safety issues.
4. Submitting proposals for necessary investments in improving safety.
5. Must approve the appointment of safety officers and industrial health
3. SAFETY EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Safety training is an extension of safety education which lies
effectively in the use of safety working practices and techniques. In
Safety training is a safe method of doing a job in the proper
sequence of operations.
BENEFITS OF SAFETY TRAINING:
Safety work procedure in the operation of machines, equipment
and handling material.
Knowing the techniques of fire fighting, first-aid,lifting, stacking,
crane operation etc.
Safety education deals primarily in the development of mind,
broadening one’s knowledge in the field of safety by understanding
the concept or principle of any hazardous things on the job activity.
LEVEL OF PEOPLE AND THEIR TRAINING NEEDS
A training programmes on specific areas like fire
extinguishing , first aid, noise, industrial hygiene, major
hazards control during emergency, use of personal
protective equipments, Loading and lifting.