How We Defined Our Own Cloud
May 19th, 2022
Cloud Platform Department
Rakuten Group, Inc.
Worked in industry over 20+ years! ~ seen a lot of change
and made a a lot of change!
Currently working in Rakuten’s: Cloud platform Department
Core Infrastructure Section as Vice Senior Manager
Started at Rakuten in 2018 as an Architect in Cloud platform
Department - Core Infrastructure – Network Group
Specializing in pipelining automation, infrastructure,
networking, security, and much much more! ! !
1. Some of Rakuten's key infrastructure
2. About the current cloud platform
3. Potential future efforts
A machine is one of fundamental bricks of our Cloud, alongside the network
We’re here providing building blocks Metal
Containers / Hypervisors
One Cloud Services
• Intel Xeon E-2100 system.
• Four DDR4 DIMM slots.
• For storage, each sled has a 2.5” SFF SATA drive bay
• Can use either two M.2 drives or two NF1 drives with the sled.
• Networking is provided by either dual 10GbE or a single 25GbE uplink
Reference Page: https://qct.io/product/index/Server/rackmount-
Internals to a Sled
Reference Page: https://qct.io/product/index/Server/rackmount-server/Microserver/QuantaMicro-X11C-8N
9data centers in operation in Japan and overseas
Providing around 30,000servers
• Expansion of new managed services
• Expanding the implementation / use of study sessions for in-house users
LBaaS DBaaS Storage
New Managed Services
What’s Coming Up?
• Extension of network self-service
• Making GPU resources a platform service
• Efficiency including DC resources
• Resource-efficient physical equipment selection
according to the usage of each upper service layer
• HW / NW resource management and stable supply
(responding to silicon shortage)
• Network CI / CD (automation of upgrades and
What’s Coming Up?
• We have built a full-fledged integrated private cloud
to support the Rakuten ecosystem and have begun
using it in production environments.
• Steer towards managed services and simplify core
• Providing high-performance physical server /
network resources at low cost.
• Multi-tenant support / Clarify the scope of
responsibility between each platform and user.
• We are promoting the use of Rakuten services not
only in Japan but also overseas, and have already
expanded to 9 DCs in Japan and overseas.
Goal ~ “Manage the Instance Life Cycle from One Dashboard”