सज्जनगड Elevation 742 m (2,434 ft)
Sajjangad – Fort of good people Location Satara
Sajjangad was created by king Bhoj from Shilahar dine sty in 11th century. The
was created by king Bhoj from Shilahar dine sty in 11th century. The
village at the base of the fort is as Parali so the fort was also called as, the fort
of Parali. The mention of this fort is found in the region of the 4th Bahamani
king Mahommad Shah (1358 to 1375). Later, it went in the hands of Adilshah
who grabbed a portion of Bahamani state. The mention of Phajal khan is found
who grabbed a portion of Bahamani state The mention of Phajal khan is found
in 1632 as the in charge of the fort. On 2nd April 1673, this fort was conquered
by Shivaji Maharaj from Adilshah.
Saint Samarth Ramdas permanently resided on this fort as per the request of
Shivaji Maharaj. And the fort was named as Sajjangad. Then, after coronation,
Shivaji Maharaj came for séance of Samarth on 3‐11‐1678, Shivaji sent
Sambhaji to Sajjangad. However, Sambhaji ran away from Sajjangad on 3rd
to Sajjangad. However, Sambhaji ran away from Sajjangad on 3rd
December 1678 and joined Dilerkhan. After unfortunate death of Shivaji
Maharaj on 18 January 1682, the idol of Shriram was on the fort. Ramdas
Swami took ‘samadhi’ on 22‐1‐1682 here. Though Samarth transferred all the
rights regarding the fort to Divakar Gosavi, the administration was allotted to
rights regarding the fort to Divakar Gosavi the administration was allotted to
Bhanji and Ramji Gosavi. However conflicts arose between them. When
Sambhaji heard about it, he wrote to Jijoji Katkar, the Killedar of Sajjangad. The
letter intended to settle the dispute and to follow the orders of the respected
elder people. Later on 21 April 1700, the fort was captured by Moghals and
named by then as ‘Nauras‐Satara’. In 1709 Marathas captured the fort.
However in 1818 the fort fell in the hands of British.
Base village Parli
Ajinkyatara d t S t
Aji k t gad at Satara on way to Sajjangad
t S jj d
Sajjangad is situated 9 km away from Satara city
Ramdas Swami, the spiritual guru of Shivaji Maharaj lived his entire life on this plateau fort. The
maintenance of the fort and shrine of Sant Ramdas is taken care of by Shri Ramdas Swami Sansthan, a
trust which has existed since the time of Shri Ramdas Swami. The daily routine on the fort includes
morning prayers, Abhishek and Puja, Maha Naivedya, Bhajans and reading of the manuscript Dasbodh
morning prayers Abhishek and Puja Maha Naivedya Bhajans and reading of the manuscript Dasbodh
written by Sant Ramdas. The main doors of the fort are closed on sunset to sunrise and hence you
cannot enter the fort or even exit from the fort during this time.
Shelter and food is provided free of cost to visitors.
Partly ruined Mosque
Angai Devi Mandir
(meant for horses)
( f h )
About a few yards outside Parali village are two old Hemadpanti Temples facing east.
The southern temple was desecrated by either the Bijapur Musalmans or the Moghals.
p y j p g
The northern temple was a feeble copy of the old raised after their departure.
There was a pond closeby about forty yards square and ten feet deep before the Urmodi Dam
The hall or mandap is about twenty‐four feet square with four rows of four pillars each, seven feet apart,
supporting with brackets a flat roof ten feet high. The central one over the round slab in which the Nandi is
placed has a canopied top.