The Khanderi Fort is 3-4 km into the sea from Thai beach. The fort was built in the year
1678. The Fort stands on a small island. A lighthouse was constructed later on. The fort
was under the British control for a long time.
The various attempts made by the British to capture the island fort of Khanderi were not
fruitful till the year 1750. The Fort was finally handed over to the British as part of the
Today the Khanderi Fort is under Bombay Port trust administration. The fort can be
visited in local boats with the permission of the Bombay port trust.
Around 18 km into the sea from Mumbai’s east coast and 5 km from Alibaug, one of the
twin scenic island forts Khanderi and Underi is now back into the state government fold
after it was illegally sold by its caretakers nearly two years ago.
The state has now officially declared the Underi Fort—that was sold at a paltry Rs 2
crore to a businessman—as a reserved monument.
A little towards the north of Alibaug and just 300 meters from Khanderi fort, the Underi
fort was built by Siddi Qasam Johar of Janjira in 1680 to defeat the Maratha who ruled
Khanderi. In 1732, Sekhoji Angre first attacked this fort but Siddi temporarily handed it
over to the British to save it from the Marathas. However, in 1759, the Marathas
defeated the British and Siddi and won the fort. After an end to the Peshwa rule in 1818,
it went to the British who later handed it over to India after Independence.
The Khanderi was fortified by Shivaji in 1678-79 by building a wall along the entire
perimeter of the island. In total ruin, there is a functional lighthouse.
Khanderi is under the control of the Mumbai Port Trust. The beautiful twin forts of
Alibaug are now being eyed as the next major tourist destination due the lush green
beauty of the coast and its scenic surroundings.