DR. B.B. BANGA
Chairman, Road Safety
Lions Clubs International District 321-A3
2-wheeler accidental deaths up by 25% from ’09 to ’10
Riding a bike at 55 kmph means you are
moving at 49 feet per second. It is the speed at
which you would hit the ground, if you were to
jump from the fourth floor of a building.
You may have a million excuses for not protecting
yourself with a helmet. But this is reason
enough for all those arguments to
do a vanishing act.
A little care can save your life.
FACTS ABOUT 2-WHEELERS
• 69 % of total motorized vehicle are 2
• 2 wheeler rider is 30 times more likely to
be killed than a car driver.
• Death most common in young people.
72% in age group of 20-30 years.
Why 2-wheeler rider are
more vulnerable to
• Share same road with fast moving cars,
buses and trucks.
• Lack of physical protection.
• Less visible
• Lack of proper education about road rules
& safe driving.
Why Head Injuries Are
• 75% to 88% of the death due to Head
• Treatment very costly.
• Requires long hospitalization & follow up.
• High changes of disability even after
treatment / recovery.
What can we do ?
• Prevention is better than cure.
• We can’t prevent using 2-wheeler but can
Helmets are effective in reducing the likely
hood of Head Injury as well as their
With helmet Without helmet
Fatality 1.2 / 1000 6.2/1000
Medical Cost 49% less
Disability 27% less
After making helmet compulsory
• 33% decrease in Head Injury.
• 56% decrease in fatalities.
Mechanism of Head Injury
(Accelaration & Deaccelaration)
How a Helmet works ?
Reduces severity by reducing
• Outer hard coat – Mechanical barrier- no direct contact
• Impact absorbing layer (1.5cm to 3cm)
Absorb some of the impact
Head comes to a halt more slowly so reduced
deaccelaration – less injury
• Comfort Padding – Keeps Head comfortably
-- Helmet fits snugly.
• Spread the impact over a greater surface area so
they are not concentrated on a particular area of
• Chin Strap – should not be loose, otherwise
Helmet will come out during accident.
Advantages of Helmet
• likely hood of death by 39%
• risk & severity of injury by 72%
• cost of Health Care
(25000 Crore per year 1% GDP of India)