• Germany is a federal, parliamentary,
representative democratic republic.
• Christian Democratic Union and the Social
Democratic Party of Germany are
dominating political unions of Germany.
• Currently The Christian Democrats
governed coalition along with the Free
Democratic Party in ruling the country.
• Country has low level of corruption
• Germany is the largest economy in the
• The fourth-largest by nominal GDP
($3.352 trillion) in the world (2008)
• Germany is the world's second largest
exporter with $1.120 trillion exported in
• The corporation tax charged at corporate
level is 15% (flat rate tax).
• The VAT rate in Germany is 19% and
reduced VAT rate is 7% for select goods .
• Germany uses Euro Currency which is
fluctuating between 1.2$ to 1.6$ / Euro.
Current rate 1.32$
• Germany is very stable economy, in
difficult time of global economic crisis it
remained quite stable
• Standards of living and per capita incomes
are significantly high.
• Famous German Corporates :
Volkswagen, Daimler, Siemens, E. ON,
DHL, T Mobile, BASF, BMW, SAP.
• Germany is historically called the land of
poets and thinkers.
• Germany has a very high Human
Development Index of 0.885.
• Germany has equally spread in both
• Germany is concentrated towards middle
• The overall life expectancy in Germany at
birth is 79.9 years.
• Germany has been famous for innovation
and engineering development.
• Germany stands third in filling patents,
with almost 5,000 registrations.
• Germany's achievements in sciences have
been significant and research and
development efforts form an integral part
of the country's economy.
• Scientific research in the country is
supported by industry, Universities and
• Germany faces river flooding in spring and
stormy winds in some regions.
• Earthquakes occur several times a year
but they are relatively weak.
• Germany is environmental consciousness.
• The state is committed to the Kyoto
protocol and several other treaties.
• Germany supports use of renewable
• Air pollution in Germany is regulated by
strict "TA Luft" legislation
• The Judiciary of Germany is independent
of the executive and the legislative
• Germany has a civil and statute law
system that is based on roman law with
some references to Germanic law.
• Legislative power is divided between the
federation and the state level.
• The Basic Law presumes that all
legislative power remains at the state
Mercedes Benz – The History
• Mercedes-Benz is a division of Daimler
• It origins with patent by Benz Patent
Motorwagen, of Karl Benz (1886)
• Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft was first
company to market Mercedes-Benz.
• Later they merged company as Daimler-
• In 1998 Daimler merged with US based
company called Chrysler Corporation to
make DaimlerChrysler AG
Gottlieb DaimlerKarl Benz
• Passenger cars
• Buses and vans
• Sports Car
• Electric vehicles
• Financial Services
• Most well-known and established
automotive brands in the world
• Research and Development
• Quality and Durability
• Technological and Safety innovations
• Full range of passenger, light commercial
and heavy commercial equipment
• Global Production and Sales Presence
• The world's oldest automotive brand still in
Amounts in millions of EUR 2009
Investment in property, plant and equipment 1,618
Research and development expenditure 2,696
Mercedes-Benz Cars 1,093,900
Mercedes-Benz Vans 165,576
• Wholly owned subsidiary in 1994 as
• Mercedes-Benz India is a 100%-owned
subsidiary of Daimler AG at Pune
• Manufacturing Facilities at Chennai
• 22 Dealership across India with 32 service
• Manufactures C and E class Locally.
• Imports CL, GL, M, R, S, SL Series.
Market Entry Strategy - India
• Early success in motor racing as
Mercedes and Benz separately.
• 1954-1955 dominance in Formula One
• Multiple races won during 1993-2009.
• In 2008 Lewis Hamilton won the Drivers'
Championship by 1 point from Ferrari's
• In 2010 Mercedes GP stood 3rd
• Mercedes-Benz is a top brand of luxury
cars ranked as 2nd
most famous brand.
• A downturn in reputation in this criteria in
the late 1990s and early 2000s
• In 2008, Mercedes had the worst CO2
average of all major European
manufacturers, ranking 14th out of 14
• Mercedes-Benz in United States also face
an additional gas guzzler tax in 2009.
• Paid Fine of US$30.66 million for their
decision to not meet the federal corporate
average fuel economy standard in 2009.
• Drive technologies
• Safety Technologies
• Clean Drive Technologies
• Safe Drive Technologies (Accident Free)
• Sustainable drive systems
• Demo of Future Technology with Research
• F600 HYGENIUS
• F 500 Mind
• F 400 Carving
• F 300 Life Jet
• F 200 Imagination
• F 100
New Product Development
• Mercedes-Benz develops new models with
great love for detail.
• Mercedes Benz is focused innovative
products and it is pioneer in safety
• Exciting Model range of Elegant sedans,
comfortable station wagons, sporty
cabriolets or powerful off-roaders round off
the Mercedes-Benz product portfolio
• Company Meets “German Corporate
Governance Code Government
• Variable compensation of the Supervisory
Board relating to the company’s long-term
• Declares Compensation of the Supervisory
• Broadcasts the Annual Meeting, Hence
• Environmental protection & safety
• F700 concept car : Mercedes-Benz introduces
seven hybrid models, which combined hybrid
drive with the innovative DiesOtto engine.
• S400 BlueHYBRID : was launched in 2009, a
first production automotive hybrid in the world to
use a lithium-ion battery.
• Vision S500 PHEV : A petrol concept vehicle
with a 19 miles (31 km). All electric range &
CO2 emissions of 74 grams/km in the New
European Driving Cycle.
Corporate Social Responsibility
• Work Wheels : Free leasing vehicles to
• Support social cause project that
employees show interest for as “Moved by
• Employees can take day off as “The Day
of Caring”, to help in social projects.
• Automotive Academy
• People for People foundation
Future Business Strategies
• Operational excellence and a high
• Expansion of core business in traditional
market segments and utilization of new
opportunities on a regional basis
• Further development of innovative and
customer-oriented services and technologies
• Development and implementation of new
businesses activities in related areas