Success Story of Nirma
Karsan Bhai Patel
Presented by -
What is Nirma ???
Nirma is a group of companies based in the Ahmedabad.
It manufactures cosmetics, soaps, detergents, salt, soda ash, LAB
Today Nirma has over 15000 employees and a turnover of over
Rs. 3550 crores.
• Nirma’s Vision - Offer better quality products and services that
maximise value to the customer.
• Nirma’s Missions –
Sustained innovation, an unceasing effort to deliver better value to
consumers, through better product quality.
Sabki Pasand Nirma...
Karsanbhai Patel used to make detergent powder in the backyard of his house in
Ahmedabad and then carry out door to door selling of his hand made product.
He gave a money back guarantee with every pack that was sold.
Karsanbhai Patel managed to offer his detergent powder for Rs. 3 per kg when the
cheapest detergent at that time was Rs.13 per kg and so he was able to successfully
target the middle and lower middle income segment.
• Nirma gave employment to a large number of people. Nirma focused
on cost reduction strategies to make a place for itself in the market.
• In the 1980s nirma moved ahead of Surf , a detergent by HLL , to
caputre a large market share.Later, Nirma successfully entered in the
premium segment of soaps and detergents. Nirma went on to become
the largest detergent and the second largest soap company in India.
• The Marketing Strategy of Nirma.
The brand name is derived
from Nirupama, the company
owner’s daughter who died in
a car accident but whose
image has become iconic
with the brand.
• Starting as a one-product, one-man outfit from a 100 sq ft (9.3 m2) room
in 1969, now it is multi-locational manufacturing facilities, and a broad
• Nirma successfully countered competition from HLL and carved a niche for
itself in the lower-end of the detergents and toilet soap market.
• In 2000, Nirma had a 15% share in the toilet soap segment and more than
30% share in the detergent market.
• Nirma's turnover for the year ended March 2010 increased by 17%.
The Man behind
Name - Karsanbhai Khodidas Patel
Born - 1945, Ruppur, Mehsana, Gujarat
Education – B.Sc. In Chemistry
Experience - first in the New Cotton Mills,
Ahmedabad and then employee in the
Geology and Mining Department of the
Current position – CMD of Nirma
• He started –
In 1995 - Nirma Institute of Technology in Ahmedabad, which grew into a leading
engineering college in Gujarat.
In 2003 - Nirma University of Science and Technology.
In 2004 - Nirmalabs education project, aimed at training and incubating
• In 1990 - the Federation of Association of Small Scale Industries of India
(FASII), New Delhi, awarded - 'Udyog Ratna' award.
• In 2001 - doctorate by Florida Atlantic University
• In 2010 - Padma Shri Award for the year 2010.