What Is A Film Poster?
• A film poster is mainly used to advertise or market a film.
• Almost all of the posters contain an image and the title of
• Traditionally there were more illustrations than photos
and there were no or less use of graphics.
• Some poster also include director’s name, cast,
production house and etc.
Codes & Conventions of
• Feminine colors such as light blue, pink and white to attract female
• Placing the female character in the center or foreground to show that
she is the main character.
• The use of props to identify themes of the films for example flowers
and sunglasses also attracts the target audience.
• Having short titles.
• Having interesting taglines to make audience think.
• Placing the credits at the bottom of the poster and into the terminal
area as it is the last thing that reader sees.
• The clothing of the actors is very comfortable and casual.
• Image of the couple in intense love.
• The background of the poster would be where the couple first met
such as college, beach, restaurant etc.
“A Walk To Remember” Poster Analysis
Name of the star cast in bold
and capital letters to attract
The poster is covered by an
image of both the girl and boy
which are shown in a romantic
mood. This hints audience that
it is a romantic film.
The title of the film is in
simple font and is in light
Two taglines are provided.
They are catchy and makes
people think about it.
Details about production
house, cast, director and etc.
Other Characteristics In
“A Walk To Remember”
• The color of the poster is soft, browns and yellows which give a happy feel
of the movie.
• The image of the couple shows the genre of the film effectively and as the
characters are both looking down away from the camera, shows they are in
• The lighting is bright to enforce the feeling of happy and cheerful again.
• The title and actors names are in a light yellow color which stands out in
parts on the brown mesh background, but also blends nicely in to create the
feel of serenity.
• The actors names are used as the USP (Unique Selling Point) because they
are quite well known actors who have done many films before. Mandy
Moore especially has been in many films with the genre of romance, this will
ensure the target audience to be adequate. The USP is also the genre, as the
image clearly displays a love story.
What Have I Learnt?
• Through the poster analysis of a romance genre film I now
know that what are the common codes and conventions of
• I have also learnt about the color composition that is
followed in romance genre posters.
• When I will be making a poster for my final film I would
be keeping everything in mind so that my audience get
• For my final film I would be using more graphics to
enhance the final poster.