• A film poster is a poster used to advertise a film.
• Studios often print several posters that vary in size and content for
various domestic and international markets.
• They normally contain an image with text.
• Today's posters often feature photographs of the main actors.
• The text on film posters usually contains the film title in large lettering
and often the names of the main actors.
• It may also include a tag line, the name of the director, names of
characters, the release date, etc.
• It attracts audience.
• Types of poster:
• The Teaser poster -This poster contains basic information to whet your
appetite. It often does not indicate much about the plot, but may have a
picture of the stars, and the name of the film.
• The main poster- this-*contains information about the production
personnel, the stars, and the distributors.
• Video/DVD release poster - This one comes out when the film is
released on DVD/video and often has all of the above plus short, one
line reviews from relevant publications.
• A dark, dull color scheme-shadows and darkness are linked with fear
and terror. While a lack of color could represent a lifeless feel to the
poster, signifying death or decay, again both typical horror themes.
• Distorted text -Usually on film posters the title text or text in general
has themes of horror, such as an eroded text to show decay. Another
example could be distortion to represent the aspect of confusion or
• An image that fills the entire frame - This is to attract the attention of
the target audience. Were it to be a small image, it wouldn't be as
appealing and they may look over it. But, if the image fills the frame
or looks abnormal, the attention is immediately caught.
• A title - Generally towards the bottom of the page, the title is made of
one or two main words, and is in a simple font that is usually
uppercase. The few words means that it stays in the audiences mind
and is easy to remember.
• Tagline - Short and simple, this sentence, or collection of sentences,
creates intrigue for the audience.
• Institutional information - When featured, this section of
information details the information of who is starring, or
worked on the film and is shown inconspicuously at the
very bottom of the page.
• A release date - A vital piece of information, the creator
can place the date towards the base of the poster,
usually in the same font as the title, to tell the audience
when it is released.
Name of the
star cast of
the film on the
used as the
of the poster.
He is the
point (USP) of
and looks as
it is glowing
The sky is full of dark and dull clouds
which again represents the horrific
element in the film
The tagline makes the audience wonder what her
curse is and what will happen if someone get
in the back
in the black
has her face
it makes the
The name of
Image of my main
covers half of the
she is the main
character and the
Audience will be
curious to know
that whether it is
Name of director,
The film title have distorted look which
makes audience think that it is a horror
curse is and
the story that
picture of my
The dark and
that it is a
• I made this poster when I was doing my Chroma key
assignment. Back then I wasn’t sure about my final film
genre so I had to make a poster on this.
• I think I need to improve on the design of my poster and
use more graphics to enhance the final product.
• I would also need to get good pictures of my character so
I can include them in the poster.
• Due to poster analysis I am now able to understand more
about the codes and conventions of film poster and I will
definitely keep them in mind when working on the poster
of my final film.