Who am I?
● Rafael Rosa - Cloud evangelist at iWeb
○ email@example.com / @rafaelrosafu
● Hosting provider based in Montreal
● Operating since 1996
● 10.000+ clients from around the world
● 4 data centers spread around the island
○ tens of thousands of servers in Montreal
● Infrastructure focus
○ Cloud servers
○ Dedicated servers
○ Smart servers
○ Managed servers
● Acquired by Internap in October 2013
What a heck is a coding dojo?
Why is it useful?
● Introduced to the programming
community by Andrew Hunt and Dave
Thomas on "The Pragmatic Programmer" in
● Being aware of what your coding
○ Don't "program by coincidence"
○ Understand why things work or don't
● Practice makes it easier
Quick randori guide
● Gather a bunch of nice coders
○ Free pizza and beverages help a lot
● Pick a challenge / puzzle
○ Ruby Quiz has 150+ options
○ Explain the puzzle (this part is tricky)
● Prepare the environment
○ rspec + autotest for automated tests
○ Pick a simple text editor, like Sublime
● Pair random people
○ Coding cycles of 5 to 7 minutes
○ Replace driver, pick a new co-pilot from audience
● Make a quick retrospective
○ What can we improve next time?
● Safe environment
○ Respect everybody
○ There are no dumb questions
○ Making mistakes is part of the process
○ Constructive criticism is welcome
○ Everybody helps each other
● Desire to improve your craft
The main goal is to learn
Finishing the challenge is a detail
It should be fun!
It isn't a competition
It isn't an exhibition