The Future of Welsh
Jake Henry, “Welsh Experience of WW1 Project”, NLW
• The WRN successfully set up institutional repositories across
• Provision for the long term digital storage of special
collections materials is currently lacking.
• Without a consistent development path, the equitable
repository environment set up through the WRN will begin to
• There is a clear demand for resources and support to provide
advice and practical help to institutions wanting to maintain
and develop their repositories.
• There is strong interest in the idea of a central repository
service which institutions would be able to join.
Screen and Sound Archive
• To preserve, promote and celebrate the sound and moving
image heritage of Wales.
• ITV Wales Archive project digitising thousands of hours of
Video and Film.
• Unlocking Film Heritage project with BFI creating very high
quality copies of important historic film.
• A lot of AV content is a risk of being lost forever because of
hardware and software obsolescence and the limited lifespan
• MabLab is a three year National
Library of Wales project which aims to
establish a system to ingest, preserve
and provide access to born digital
archives and material.
• Digital archives are at risk of being lost
for ever because of hardware and
software obsolescence and the
dangers of bit rot and data loss.
• 3 full time and 2 part time members of