Pick A Team
• Group A
• Group B
• Group C
• Ivory Coast
• Group D
• Costa Rica
• Group E
• Group F
• Bosnia &
• Group G
• Group H
• South Korea
• They call Brazil’s humiliating defeat to
Germany (1-7) the Minierazo after the
Maracanazo in 1950.
• In 1950 Brazil had lost their final game to
Uruguay 2-1 when a draw would have seen
them crowned champions.
• What was the color of Brazil’s kit then?
• Spain won the World Cup in 2010, scoring just
8 goals in the whole tournament? Villa top
scored with 5, Iniesta scored in the final and
once in the group stage.
• Who scored their only other goal?
• Ivory Coast
• In 2014 the Colombian National Team returned home
as heroes, with James Rodriguez a star of the
tournament and a household name. 20 years ago it
was very different. They went home shamed and
another player Andre Escobar became a household
He scored an Own goal which led to
Colombia’s ouster. He was shot dead 5
• Name this German who coached Greece in the
2010 World Cup. He is famous for
masterminding one of the most unlikely
tournament victories when Greece won Euro
2004 in Portugal.
• Costa Rica
• Costa Rica upset the odds by not only sailing
through the Group of Death in this World Cup
but only losing the Quarter Finals to the
fancied Netherlands side on Penalties. The
biggest role in their success was played by
goalkeeper Keylor Navas. Which Spanish Club
does he play for?
• An Englishman has won the Golden Boot for
being the top scorer at a World Cup. Who and
in which year?
Gary Lineker in Mexico 1986. He
scored 6 goals in 5 games
• Italy won the World Cup back to
back in 1934 and 1938 due to
the coach Vittorio Pozzo and
this man, widely regarded as
one of the greatest players of all
time. Name this legend, after
whom one of the most iconic
stadiums in World Football is
• My father played in the 1966 and 1974 World Cups.
• My Grandfather coached our national team in 1962
• I played in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.
• I am the first Uruguay player to play a 100 times for
• Laurent Blanc scored the winner for France
against Paraguay in the 1st knockout round in
1998, the year they lifted the trophy. Why was
this a landmark goal?
Because it was the first Golden Goal
scored at the World Cup. It was scored
in the 113th minute
• This is Honduras’ coach at
the 2014 World Cup. He
shares his name with a
famous footballer who
always finds himself in the
news, for reasons good or
bad. At this World Cup, he
left in disgrace. Name?
• Switzerland were defeated by Ukraine on
penalties in the 2006 World Cup in the 1st
Knockout Round. They became the first (and
only) team in World Cup History to be
eliminated with what record?
Bosnia & Herzegovina
• Yugoslavia was dissolved in 1992, and each of
the 6 new countries had a football team. Only
one of these teams has not qualified for the
World Cup finals. Which one?
Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia,
Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and
Montenegro are the six countries.
Of these, Macedonia has not
qualified for the World Cup
• There aren’t many famous
football players to come out
of Iran. The man in the
picture is though. With 149
caps for Iran, he is the only
player to score over a 100
international goals (109),
though none at the 3 World
Cups he played. Name this
Record Holder who even
played for Bayern Munich
• In their first World Cup in 1994, Nigeria
topped a difficult group and were eliminated
from the Quarter Finals by Italy. Who scored
Italy’s equalizer with 2 minutes left and the
Winner in Extra time, in a tournament he
would never forget.
• United States of America
• In 1974 Jurgen Sparwasser scored the only
goal in the game that gave the Germans
Victory. But this did not go down well back in
He scored the winner for the
unfancied East Germany against West
Germany, who were the favorites and
went on to win the tournament
• Why did half-brothers Jerome Boateng and
Kevin-Prince Boateng not speak to each other
for months in the build up to the 2010 World
Ghanian Kevin Prince Tackled Michael Ballack
in the FA Cup Final when Ballack was playing
for Chelsea. This ruled the German captain out
of the tournament and Jerome Boateng, Kevin-
Prince’s half brother, played for Germany
• Only one Player has scored 4 goals in a
knockout round of the World Cup – not
including third place matches. Who and when
– this was a famous incident as he was Golden
Boot at the World Cup.
United States of America
• ‘Soccer Fever’ had gripped the United States as they
hosted the World Cup in 1994. Attendance records
were shattered as on average 70,000 people watched
matches in the stadiums, among which was the first
Indoor Football Stadium, the Pontiac Silverdome. In
which stadium was the final held?
• Russian Goalkeeper Lev Yashin is
considered one of the greatest
goalkeepers of all time. In 1962,
Colombia played Russia (then the
Soviet Union) and with the
Russians leading 4-1, Colombian
Marcos Coll scored a quite unique
goal that led a fight-back as the
game ended in a 4-4 draw. What
happened that fooled the great
He scored an Olympic goal – directly
from the corner – the only such
instance in World Cups
• Why was Korean football player Ahn Jung-
Hwan dismissed from his club side Perugia in
He scored the Golden goal that
knocked out Italy from the 2002 World
• Germany and Argentina have played each
other in the final once before. The Germans
won thanks to an 85th minute penalty scored
• Franz Beckenbauer, ‘Der Kaiser’, and the Brazilian
Mario Zagallo are the only football players to win
the World Cup both as a player and as a coach.
Beckenbauer won as a player in 1974 when he was
West German Captain, and as a coach in 1990 for
• Who is the only football player to lose finals as a
player and coach.
Franz Beckenbauer again. He lost as a player in
1966 and as a coach in 1986
• One of the finest players of all time, Zinedine
Zidane has one World Cup Record. What is it?
Most cards for one player – 6
(shared with Cafu)