Paleozoic Stratigraphy of Yemen
(As-Saruri et al., 2010)
Formation Wajid Akbarah
Lithology Mainly Sandstone (Glacial Deposits)
Environment Fluvial Glacial
Similar deposits in
SW Saudi Arabia:
Alkhalata and Gharif
Juwayl Member of
Wajid Sandstone and
Outcrop Location NW of Sana’a Basin NW of Sana’a Basin
Lower contact Uncon. With basement Uncon. With Wajid or
Upper contact Uncon. With Akbarah or
or Mesozoic Sediments
Uncon. With Mesozoic
Surface section - North of Yemen Base-Top
Formation Dibsiyah Qalibah Khusayyayn Juwayl
Lithology Sst, mic-congl,
congl, thin Sh
Environment Fluvial Cycle of
part of Wajid
Huj Gr. (Tawil,
Jawf, Jubah) and
C & N Saudi
Subsurface Section- Rub’ Al-Khali (Southern Flank) Base-Top
• Yemen is a part of Arabian plate which was a part of Gondwana.
• Yemen was affected by the second glaciation on AP, Late Permian.
• Wajid and Akbarah FM are only the exposed Paleozoic formations
located in Sana’a Basin.
• Subsurface Paleozoic formations appeared in the Rub’ Al-Khali Basins
include: Dibsiyah, Qalibah, Khusayyayn and Juwayl FMs.
• Glacial deposits of late Permian occurred in Akbarah FM, Sana’a
Basin, and Jwayal FM in the Rub’ Al-Khali Basin.
• Qalibah and Khusayyayn FMs were deposited in marginal
Thank you for listening
Yemen- Jabal an-Nabi Shu'aib, 3670m
15° 16′ 45″ N, 43° 58′ 33″ E
• As-Saruri, M. A., Sorkhabi, R., & Baraba, R. (2013). Sedimentary basins of Yemen: their
tectonic development and lithostratigraphic cover. In Lithosphere Dynamics and
Sedimentary Basins: The Arabian Plate and Analogues (pp. 361-373). Springer Berlin
• Beydoun, Z. R. (1998). International lexicon of stratigraphy. Vol. 3. Asia: Fasc. 10b2.
Republic of Yemen. Internat. Union of Geological Sciences, Internat. Commission on
• Johnson, P.S.(1998) Tectonic map of Saudi Arabia and adjacent areas. Deputy Ministry
for Mineral Resources.
• Konert, G., Afifi, A. M., Al-Hajri, S. A., De Groot, K., Al Naim, A. A., & Droste, H. J.
(2001). AAPG Memoir 74, Chapter 24: Paleozoic Stratigraphy and Hydrocarbon Habitat
of the Arabian Plate.
• Haq, B. U., & Al-Qahtani, A. M. (2005). Phanerozoic cycles of sea-level change on the
Arabian Platform. GeoArabia, 10(2), 127-160.