National Charter Schools Institute
• The Institute is a values-driven, nonprofit organization
founded in 1995.
• Our mission is to strengthen the performance and
productivity of the charter schools sector.
• We coach and consult with boards, schools, authorizers,
support organizations and policymakers.
• Our team is composed of passionate professionals.
• We seek to understand, honor and support our clients.
• We believe in and strive to uphold the Golden Rule.
Goals for Today
Share a Framework for
Strengthen & Support
Inspire Hearts & Minds
THIS SLIDE DECK IS ACCESSIBLE AT
“People don’t care how
much you know until they
know how much you care.”
The Road to Greatness
Good, Not Great
Good, Not Great
What Is Greatness?
Collins’ Good-to-Great Framework
STAGE 1: DISCIPLINED PEOPLE
Level 5 Leadership
First Who, Then What
STAGE 2: DISCIPLINED THOUGHT
Confront the Brutal Facts
The Hedgehog Concept
STAGE 3: DISCIPLINED ACTION
Culture of Discipline
STAGE 4: BUILDING GREATNESS
Not Time Telling
MAKES A DISTINCTIVE IMPACT
ACHIEVES LASTING ENDURANCE
Beyond Any Leader,
Idea or Setback
On the Communities
Relative to Its Mission
“Greatness ... is largely
a matter of conscious
choice and discipline.”
The First Person You Lead Is Yourself
The Most Consistently Admired
Characteristics of Leaders
How Leaders Earn Credibility
• “They practice what they preach.”
• “They walk the talk.”
• “Their actions are consistent with their words.”
• “They put their money where their mouth is.”
• “They follow through on their promises.”
• “They do what they say they will do.”
The Leadership Challenge
Model the Way
Inspire a Shared Vision
Challenge the Process
Enable Others to Act
Encourage the Heart5
Five Practices of Exemplary Leaders
Kouzes and Posner
Level 5 Leaders
• Ambitious first and foremost for
the cause, the organization,
the work — not themselves.
• Display a paradoxical blend of
personal humility and
How clear is your organization about its ...
What is the organization really trying to accomplish?
Is it compelling? Will it make a significant difference?
How will the organization proceed with making this
vision a reality?
What are the core things the organization will use to
guide and evaluate all of its actions and behaviors?
WHAT REALLY MATTERS
Ensuring all students
are prepared for success in
college, work and life.
keeps us so busy we
don’t have time to think
about what is really
important to us.”
The Power of Clarifying Values
• We recognize that no one of us is as good as all of us.
• We will put the team’s goals before our own.
• We will collaborate.
• We can be relied upon to fulfill commitments.
• We are accountable for ourselves and to each other.
• We will celebrate our successes and have fun.
“The single greatest advantage
any company can achieve is
organizational health. Yet it is
ignored by most leaders even
though it is simple, free, and
available to anyone who wants it.”
Cohesive teams develop trust,eliminate
politics and increase efficiency by…
• Knowing one another’s unique strengths
• Openly engaging in constructive,
• Holding one another accountable for
behaviors and actions
• Committing to group decisions.
1: Build a Cohesive Leadership Team
Healthy organizations minimize the
potential for confusion by clarifying…
• Why do we exist?
• How do we behave?
• What do we do?
• How will we succeed?
• What is most important — right now?
• Who must do what?
2: Create Clarity
Healthy organizations align their employees around
organizational clarity by communicating key messages through …
• Repetition: Don’t be afraid to repeat the same message again
• Simplicity: The more complicated the message, the more
potential for confusion and inconsistency.
• Multiple Mediums: People react to information in many ways;
use a variety of mediums.
• Cascading Messages: Leaders communicate key messages
to direct reports; the cycle repeats itself until the message is
heard by all.
3: Over-Communicate Clarity
Organizations sustain their health
by ensuring consistency in…
• Managing performance
• Rewards and recognition
• Employee dismissal.
4: Reinforce Clarity
Resources for Pursuing Greatness
Good-to-Great Diagnostic Tool
Comprehensive Check List
Institute for Excellence in Education
Illinois Mathematics and
IIT Boeing Scholars Academy
(88% to-and-through college in 6 yrs.)
Project Lead The Way