What are you aiming for; effective laws or effective practice? System reform or learning….Compliance or performance? You can use up all your allotted time on the left-hand side.
You have all the authority you need to make the changes on the right-hand side.
A Force for Quality, A Catalyst for Excellence [Alpha Authorizing]
Recognize and reward performance Encourage the replication and expansion of success Create new performance-based paths for authorizing, overseeing, and renewing charter contracts Make authorizing a respected profession Relentlessly pursue excellence Protect, preserve and advance the idea behind chartering
Goenner and Lambertson -- Formula for Replication -- Plan + Prepare + Execute -- OAPCS 2014 Conference -- 141016
WINNING FORMULA FOR
PLAN + PREPARE + EXECUTE
OHIO ALLIANCE FOR PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS
OCTOBER 16, 2014
SHERRY A. LAMBERTSON
JAMES N. GOENNER, PH.D
Goals for Today
Challenge Your Thinking
Sharpen Our Focus
Discuss Replication & Reach
5 Have Fun!
“People don’t care how
much you know until they
know how much you care.”
National Charter Schools Institute
• The Institute is a values-driven, nonprofit organization
founded in 1995.
• Our mission is to strengthen the performance and
productivity of the charter schools sector.
• We coach and consult with boards, schools, authorizers,
support organizations and policymakers.
• Our team is composed of passionate professionals.
• We seek to understand, honor and support our clients.
• We believe in and strive to uphold the Golden Rule.
THIS SLIDE DECK IS ACCESSIBLE AT
WHICH ORGANIZATIONS HAVE
UTILIZED REPLICATION TO
EXPAND THEIR INFLUENCE?
Collins’ Good-to-Great Framework
STAGE 1: DISCIPLINED PEOPLE
Level 5 Leadership
First Who, Then What
STAGE 2: DISCIPLINED THOUGHT
Confront the Brutal Facts
The Hedgehog Concept
STAGE 3: DISCIPLINED ACTION
Culture of Discipline
STAGE 4: BUILDING GREATNESS
Not Time Telling
Relative to Its Mission
MAKES A DISTINCTIVE IMPACT
On the Communities
ACHIEVES LASTING ENDURANCE
Beyond Any Leader,
Idea or Setback
“Greatness . . . is largely a
matter of conscious
choice and discipline.”
What are Systems?
• Processes for predictably achieving goals
• Based on specific, orderly, repeatable
principles and practices
• They leverage time, money and abilities
• They are deliberate, intentional and
How Successful People Grow by John C. Maxwell
What systems are currently in place in
your organization that would help
replicated the successful practice
The Most Consistently Admired
Characteristics of Leaders
How Leaders Earn Credibility
• “They practice what they preach.”
• “They walk the talk.”
• “Their actions are consistent with their words.”
• “They put their money where their mouth is.”
• “They follow through on their promises.”
• “They do what they say they will do.”
The Leadership Challenge
of a CEO
Five Practices of Exemplary Leaders
Model the Way
Inspire a Shared Vision
Challenge the Process
Enable Others to Act
5 Encourage the Heart
Kouzes and Posner
Which of the Principals of
Exemplary Leadership have you
already applied to the idea worth
“Doing everything keeps
us so busy we don’t have
time to think about what is
really important to us.”
1: Build a Cohesive Leadership Team
Cohesive teams develop trust,eliminate
politics and increase efficiency by…
• Knowing one another’s unique strengths
• Openly engaging in constructive,
• Holding one another accountable for
behaviors and actions
• Committing to group decisions.
Healthy organizations minimize the
potential for confusion by clarifying…
• Why do we exist?
• How do we behave?
• What do we do?
• How will we succeed?
• What is most important — right now?
• Who must do what?
2: Create Clarity
3: Over-Communicate Clarity
Healthy organizations align their employees around
organizational clarity by communicating key messages through …
• Repetition: Don’t be afraid to repeat the same message again
• Simplicity: The more complicated the message, the more
potential for confusion and inconsistency.
• Multiple Mediums: People react to information in many ways;
use a variety of mediums.
• Cascading Messages: Leaders communicate key messages
to direct reports; the cycle repeats itself until the message is
heard by all.
Organizations sustain their health
by ensuring consistency in…
• Managing performance
• Rewards and recognition
• Employee dismissal.
4: Reinforce Clarity
“The single greatest advantage any
company can achieve is organizational
health. Yet it is ignored by most leaders
even though it is simple, free, and
available to anyone who wants it.”
Resources for Pursuing Greatness
Good-to-Great Diagnostic Tool
Comprehensive Check List
Institute for Excellence in Education
Illinois Mathematics and
IIT Boeing Scholars Academy
(88% to-and-through college in 6 yrs.)
Project Lead The Way
“Set the standards higher
for yourself than others
would set them for you.”
What is one thing you are going to
commit to doing as a result of our time
VIEW THIS SLIDE DECK ONLINE AT
NATIONAL CHARTER SCHOOLS INSTITUTE | 711 WEST PICKARD STREET | MOUNT PLEASANT, MICHIGAN 48858