Twitter Tips, Tricks & Tools
3rd February 2015
Is it now “1 degree of separation”?
• 300+ Million Active Twitter Users monthly
• 500+ Million tweets sent every day
• There are 15+ Million UK Users
• 80% access Twitter via Mobile
• 20 Million Fake Twitter accounts
I believe Twitter (and other Social Networks) have reduced it in many cases to 1 or 2
degrees of separation.
Resources provided by Twitter
Twitter Analytics https://analytics.twitter.com
Twitter for Business https://business.twitter.com
Lots of great tips and help with advertising on Twitter
Adding a Twitter Widget to your website
Brand New Twitter Features for 2015
Group Direct Messages and videos natively inside Twitter.
You can now target people by Postcode – JUST in time for the 2015
Twitter tools that can help you get the most out of Twitter…..
Don’t worry the tools I’m going to show you are what is commonly referred to
I.e. they start of FREE and then you pay for the Premium service if you want
more functionality. For most people in the room FREE will probably do the
But if you want more please do PAY (plus they ALL offer a FREE trial).
I have been using these tools for several years now and often dip in and out of
the premium services as and when I need them.
Manage Flitter http://manageflitter.com allows you too
• Sort your followers/following lists by a range of criteria
• Find new people to follow (comprehensive search
• Find out when most of your followers are online and
schedule tweets appropriately with the PowerPost
• Answer "Who unfollowed me on Twitter"?
• Track who unfollowed you
• Easily manage multiple Twitter accounts
• Track keyword mentions on Twitter with our Analytics
feature (coming soon)
• And much more!
A common problem is Twitter Limits
You can only follow 2,000 people.
Until… 2,000 people follow you back
Want to dig a little deeper in your followers?
(Or even your competitors?)
https://followerwonk.com can help
• Search Twitter Profiles or just Bios for key words
• Competitive Analysis by comparing users
(they follow OR are followed by)
• Analyze – Twitter accounts.
i.e. Where are there follower based in the world?
Hootsuite https://hootsuite.com is my go to twitter tool, for
managing Twitter (and other social networks).
• Social Listening – Variety of searches running
• Schedule updates
• Collaboration - Work with team members securely
•Allows me to filter search by influence (Klout)
•I can ring fence an area and just listen to local tweets
Tweets with Images get up to 5x as many clicks.
https://www.canva.com is a great tool for non designer to easily create great images.
After never using it before I made this in about 60 seconds.
Twitter Tips - By Grafform
Status updates –
Not too much self promotion (it doesn’t get shared).
Make it about the clients/customers. Answer the “what’s in it for them” early.
Here are some conflicting ideas...
• Be social talk about others, that’s what people like and gets you followers.
• On twitter the more tweets you send together (i.e. too close together) the less the
links get clicked. I.e. low CTR Click Through Rate.
• Optimum amount of time to tweet for CTR click through rates is an hour apart.
So talk about others together (less worried about people clicking them) then give
YOUR tweet about YOUR PRODUCT some air.
Social Media Timings
There are no hard and fast rules about when to Tweet, but some trends that
have been seen and research by Dan Zarella (A social scientist) have shown
**TWITTER** has more interactions Monday to Friday
• Please ReTweet = 51% more RT’s
• Please RT = 39% more shares
Pls RT = Increases 4X more likely shared + Gets shared MORE!
• Post your Marquee update/content then leave for an hour.
• The most shared posts have a positive flavour
Twitter Action Plan
Wildfire PR (In the 'Putting the 'social' into social media'whitepaper) suggest the
following action plan for any marketer looking to go backtobasics with their Twitter
1.Don't be cryptic: With only 140 characters at your disposal, it's often tricky to get
ideas across, but being clear and concise is crucial in keeping your followers engaged.
2.Give followers a reason to click your link:Include a link in your tweets whenever
possible and keep your tweets interesting to encourage clickthroughs.
3. Convey your personality through your tweets:Don't be afraid to use a lighter tone
on Twitter. The more approachable you are, the more likely you are to build relationships
with your followers.
4. Create lists of key people in your industry or useful contacts:Use Twitter Lists to
put together useful groups of relevant people. This will help you build links with these
influencers and will also act as a useful resource for your followers.
5. Respond to replies quickly:if someone directs a message at you on Twitter, do
your best to respond as quickly as possible. Even you don’t know the answer or
need to find more information, you can still set expectations.
6. Link Twitter to your web analytics service:Use web analytics to identify what
drives traffic and how effective or likely this traffic is to convert.
7. Retweet interesting content:Embrace your community and if one of your
followers tweets something interesting, retweet it to your followers. Add a comment
for extra points!
8. Ask questions:One of the best ways to encourage engagement with your
followers is by asking questions. Why not get feedback on your latest product or
ask for content ideas for your blog?
9. Be flexible, don't just tweet about the same thing: The best brands on Twitter
provide a good balance of different tweets – some serious and some promotional,
but others that are lighter in tone and give a more human side to the company.
10. Pimp your profile by using your company colours and putting together a
bespoke background:Keep your Twitter profile consistent with your company
branding to make it feel more credible.
Thank you so much for attending the Twitter Masterclass.
If you are hungry for more Social Media goodies please join our
”Linkedin Group “Social Media for Business and Goodness’
We will be running a 1 day conference “Digital Spring”
on the the 19th March 2015 at the London Rowing club.
So if you want a real boost to your marketing knowledge
Pleasy check out www.PutneySocial.co.uk/Digital-Spring
ALL presentations from today will be available