What will be covered in this
1. Overview of Google Drive and its key
2. Examples of how Google Drive can be
utilized in online, blended and face-to-face
3. How to Set and use Google Drive
What is Google Drive?
Google Drive is a web-based document storage
and synchronization tool, which allows users to
create, share, and collaborate on documents,
spreadsheets, presentations, and more from
anywhere while online.
Why use Google Drive?
1. It is free. Since 2009, all UMS email has
been hosted by Google. As a result, anyone
who has an @maine.edu email account also
has access to Google Drive.
2. Platform neutral. Can be accessed from any
device: desktop computers, laptops, tablets,
3. It is an officially supported technology.
Learning Commons Tech Tutors are also
available to provide support to students
File Storage, Sharing and
1. 30 GBs of space- upload variety of file
types, including videos, music and audio
2. Control who has access to files
a. Set multiple levels of permission
i. can edit
ii. can comment
iii. can view
3. Shared documents can be worked on
both synchronously and asynchronously
a. Make edits and comments
b. Has built in auto save feature and complete
c. Integrated Instant Messaging
How can Google Drive be utilized in
online, blended and face-to-face
How to setup Google Drive
1. Go to http://gmail.maine.edu and sign in
using MaineStreet username and password
2. No Google Account? Click here: http://usm.
3. Forward UMS Gmail to different location
1. GCFLearnFree.org has compiled a series of
YouTube videos that will cover many of the
frequently asked topics: http://www.youtube.
2. Additional Tutorials: http://www.gcflearnfree.