Using SOLO for Books & Journals Contents• Searching for books – e-books• Searching for books – print books• Searching for journal article – using the article title• Searching for journal article – using the journal title• Searching for journals – using the refine options• Placing a reservation• Renewing books
1. Click Locations toview libraries that holdcopies 2. Click Radcliffe Science Library to find if the book is available for borrowing.
3. Scroll down until yousee Radcliffe ScienceLibrary listed.
Radcliffe Science Library holds multiplecopies available on the shelf.Make a note of the shelfmark. Head to RSLlevel 2 to pick up a copy.Hand your copy to staff at the circulation deskon level 4 ( ground floor) or use the self-issuemachine.
Searching for journal article - using the article title
1. Click Journal Articles (beta)tab.2. Enter title of an article.3. Click Search.
That’s the article!Click “Onlineresource”. Detailsof the article arealready in the detailsbox. Click Go
This is a HTML display of the article.To view the article like in the print journal,click Full Text (PDF)
This is the PDF version. You can print, save or attachto an email from File menu
Searching for an article title -using the journal title if the article titleis not found with the Journal Articles(beta) tab
Two routes to find journals:you can enter journal title in the search boxOr click OU e-Journals.For now, let’s search in SOLO
1. In SOLO you see records for the print and electronic versions.2. Click Online resourceto access the electronicversion.
This journal is available full text from volume 1.Enter details of the article ( year, volume, issue,start page) and click GO.You can also click GO without entering details ofthe article, and use the browse function on thepublisher’s site. See next slide.
Find the article you want fromthe list of volumes.Publishers’ sites look differentbut they all have a volumeindex to browse.
Searching for journals –using the refine options
Use the refine optionsto limit the search tojournals. See nextslide
Placing a reservationYou can place a reservation ifall the loanable copies of RSL are out of the library
1. In Oxford Collections tab for booksand journals, enter title or keywords of thetitle/author.2. Select the record thatmatches with the titleyou want.
Click Locations toview the list of librariesthat hold copies.Click RadcliffeScience Library tosee if a copy isavailable to borrow.
2. Click Hold Title toplace a reservation 1. The only loanable copy is out. You can place a reservation.
Enter barcode of your university card.Password is your date of birth i.e.17jul1979