1) Preview the textRead the title:My Fat GirlfriendIt is symbolic and descriptive.
2) ContextualizingPlace the text in a cultural and historical context.Is it in the past, present or future?Can the events happen is any culture or only a specific one?
3) Questioning tocomprehend better Ask yourself questions as you read each paragraph Ask questions about the main ideas Example: Who is narrating the story? What conflict is presented? What is the tone of the narrator? (mad, sad, happy, anxious, etc)
4) Reflecting on your ownbeliefs and values As you read, think about how the text challenges your own view of the world. Do you agree with the author? What would have you done if you were part of that event?
5) Summarizing Create an outline first Summarize the main ideas in your own words Write down any important information you found in the text
6) Evaluate and Argument After you read, you must argue in favor or against the text If you are in favor, it means you support the content and accept it as true If you are against, you must claim your choice with evidence (facts, examples, statistics, reliable sources)
7) Comparing and ContrastingIt is recommended that you compare the text with others concerning the same issues.