About the companyBūvuzņēmums Restaurators is the largest and oldestartistic renovation company in Latvia that has per-formed renovation of virtually all of the most signifi-cant cultural heritage and architectural objects in thecountry. It dates back to 1951 when first scientificworkshops were established to preserve the culturalheritage of “Soviet Socialist Republics” (SSR).The company saw its first significant expansion in1975, becoming the “Scientific Renovation Admin-istration” (SRA). Thanks to the large material andtechnical base and experienced personnel, in the fu-ture SRA was entrusted with all the major renova-tion and construction projects in the Republic.The company acquired its present name in 1993, threeyears after the restoration of independence of Latvia,when, according to a voting by a general meetingof employees, a joint stock company BūvuzņēmumsRestaurators was founded.For over fifty years our primary task has been thepreservation and renovation of nationally importantcultural heritage. Also the experience gained by theartists and craftsmen in these objects and enabling theimplementation of various unique projects and ideasis virtually priceless.
House of BlackheadsHouse of Blackheads, the architectural jewel of Rigacity, initially also called The New House, was built in1334. This building is famous in Latvia and world-wide and it was designed as a meeting and feast placefor various public organizations in Riga. However,starting from the 17th century, it was occupied solelyby Blackhead Society - a brotherhood of vigorous andenterprising foreign traders, mostly German.Remarkable is the story of St Maurice, one of themany guardians of the Society. The bold Roman le-gion commander died a martyr’s death - he was be-headed. Therefore, the reproduction of a black moor’shead became a common sign of recognition and asymbol of Blackheads and was also portrayed in thecoat of arms of the Society as well as many house or-namentation themes.The building that was considered to be the mostsplendid adornment of Riga was turned into ruinsduring the Second World War. Rebirth of the buildingbegan only in 1992 when archaeological excavationswere carried out at the historical site of the house. In1995 the renovation of the building began. Since 1999Riga can again be proud of the reborn building. Onecould say that “Būvuzņēmums Restorer” has helpedto fulfill the wish that was once written in the gatesof House of Blackheads: “If I shall ever crumble, thoushall build me again!”
Riga Latvian Society HouseThe beautiful Riga Latvian Society House was thefirst building in Riga to be built in the spirit of neo-classicism. What makes this building particularlyinteresting is the fact that in the layout of the build-ing the architect has placed emphasis on generalizedvolume, rather than the traditional subtle details orelements of order architecture in facade decoration.The architectonic image of the house also reflects in-dividual features of Vienna Art Nouveau. This is es-pecially true for filigree risalit formations crowned byartistically designed domes. Typical Art Nouveau fea-tures are the decorative panels, they have been createdby the famous Latvian artist Janis Rosentāls, using acomplex colorful cement and mosaic insert technique.However the most interesting part of the build-ing is the central composition, which contains alle-gorical characters from ancient Latvian tales. Theysymbolize cultural objectives - beauty, strength andwisdom. Risalit panels represent means to achievethese goals - arts, science, agriculture and industry.“Būvuzņēmums Restaurators” can be proud that itrestored not only the facade of this building so impor-tant to the national culture, but also the interior anddecorative interior elements.
Metalworking and forgingBūvuzņēmums Restaurators can manufacture practi-cally all metal parts - handrails, door handles, chan-deliers, external lighting elements, fences, gates,signboards, sculptural elements, benches, forgings,castings and many other things, thanks to company’sexperienced and skilled artists and craftsmen.Since ancient times Riga has been famous for its gildedroosters at the ends of church towers. These sublimebirds showing the direction of wind and symbolizingthe prosperity and power of the city have become anintegral symbol of the capital of Latvia. Among ourbest-known works are the renovated gilded roostersof largest churches in Riga - St. Peter’s and Dome,which are considered the oldest and most valuablebuildings of medieval monumental architecture in theBaltic states.Būvuzņēmums Restaurators has also sculptured met-alworking masterpieces such as the gates of LatvianPresidential Palace and decorative interior elementsof St. Peter’s Church . Wind indicators, decorativegrilles, handrails, moldings and many other metalwares of various sizes and types shaped by the gen-erations of master craftsmen of company can be foundin Old City’s streets.
Most magnificent Art Nouveaubuilding in the BalticsOne of our most striking examples of renovation, themost magnificent Art Nouveau building in Riga hav-ing no analogue architectural object in the Baltics, issituated in Alberta street 4. It is significant that sev-eral splendid Art Nouveau houses are located on thisstreet that was formed in 1900, and BūvuzņēmumsRestaurators has participated in renovation of at leasttwo of the buildings (Alberta 4 and Alberta 8). Of thetwo houses, Alberta Street 4 that was built in 1904is considered to be one of most notable projects of thefamous architect Mikhail Eisenstein. It is also likelyone of the reasons the house as a whole is so splendidand rich in decorations.The building is included in UNESCO world cul-tural heritage list - in section “The Historical Centerof Riga”. The house has eight exclusive apartments,which have been restored, preserving almost all of theoriginal parts. Some of the most unique elements inthis building are the pompous wall paintings in thelobby and staircase. Thanks to the well preservedfragments of these paintings, they have been restoredand are identical to the original.This object is a good example of renovation sector as awhole. The facade of the house is covered with abun-dant formations, which not only have been restored,but in some cases built from scratch. A real test of theprofessionalism of our trainers was the decorative in-terior formations of the building, consisting of splen-did ceiling rosettes and orchels. However, in spite ofdifficulties after the buildings commission, we con-sider this house one of our most successful projects inthe recent years.
Splendid Palace (Cinema “Riga”)The cinema “Splendid Palace”, which is now moreknown as a Cinema “Riga”, was opened in 1923 andis one of the most luxurious and beautiful buildingsin Riga. Only a few buildings in the capital of Latviacan equal this house in terms of internal decorationsand wall paintings. Interestingly, the “Splendid Pal-ace”, was the first cinema in the Baltics to show soundfilms.The cinema building is an architectural monumentof national importance. It was built according to aproject by the famous architect F. Skujiņš and at thetime was the first reinforced concrete building in thecity. The house has a rich and splendid architectonicdecoration in stylized rococo forms. The interior inturn is decorated with sculptural formations by rec-ognized sculptors - R. Maurs and J. Legzdiņš. Ofparticular value are the paintings by H. Grīnbergs,especially the ceiling painting in the Great Hall.In this house interior elements and sculptural forma-tions created by sculptors harmonize with the beauti-ful ceiling and wall paintings, thus creating ideal at-mosphere for artistic enjoyment. Probably that is whyCinema “Riga” has become a popular place not onlyfor movies, but also for a variety of musical and ar-tistic events. Of course, this house, its paintings anddecorations have a second life thanks to the knowledgeand skills of our craftsmen.
Sculpture and monumentsMonuments and sculptural objects are an integralpart of each self-respecting state and city. Also thecities of Latvia are abundant with this historical evi-dence and we are proud that many of them have re-gained their original brilliance.Among our renovation projects, especially notable isthe Riga Cemetery of the Brethren Complex. This ar-chitectural and artistic monument is known through-out the Europe. The first burials were made in Octo-ber 1915, when Latvian riflemen fallen in the FirstWorld War were buried. The cemetery ensemble wascreated in 1924 - 1936 by architects A. Birznieks, P.Feders, sculptor K. Zāle and landscape architect A.Zeidaks. The main material used was Allaži traver-tine as well as Italian travertine and sandstone.We have also renovated the most important monu-ments of Latvia - the pedestal of the Freedom Monu-ment and monuments in Sudrabkalniņš (Riga) andIkšķile dedicated to Latvian riflemen fallen in theFirst World War. We fully sculptured the RiflemenMonument in Riga, Riflemen Square, and the near-by Statue of Roland, which forms a single ensemblewith the architectural pearl of the Old City - Houseof Blackheads. It is a fact that almost each of the mostimportant and best-known statues the visitors of Rigatake delight in are either made by Būvuzņēmums Res-taurators or renovated by our craftsmen and artists.
Parliament building complexThe Saeima building complex of the Republic Latviais located at the heart of the Old City and, like theentire historical city center, belongs to UNESCO in-ternational cultural heritage list.The central building, where the Saeima of the Repub-lic of Latvia currently operates, was built for VidzemeKnighthood in 1863 - 1867 according to a project byBaltic German architect Robert Pflug and the firstacademically educated Latvian architect Janis Bau-manis.Both the building and the premises have been formedin eclectic style: Renaissance motives have been usedin forms of the building and the main representationhall, where Vidzeme Provincial Assembly meetingsand celebrations took place, Louis XVI style inspiredthe creation of the of Yellow hall interior, but theGothic style - the dining-hall design. Those were oneof the most striking public interiors in Riga.During the Second World War the buildings suf-fered severe changes and barbaric damage. A huge ef-fort was required to return the original glitter of thebuilding. However, since 2007 the facade of Saeimabuilding once again boasts the image of Lāčplēsis(Latvian folk epos hero). It was created by EdvīnsKrūmiņš, our company’s leading artist, in accord-ance with photos of works by the renowned sculptorRihards Maurs, thus marking a new turning point inarchitectural history of the building. BūvuzņēmumsRestaurators has restored not only the facade, but alsothe Parliament meeting rooms.
The building where the Republicof Latvia was proclaimedThe prehistory of the National Theater of Latvia datesback to 1897 when Riga City Council decided to builda second city theater. The winner in the competitionannounced by the city was a project with a motto“Dum spiro, spero” (“While I breathe, I hope!” Ovid),which belonged to architect Augusts Reinbergs.Many local as well as Russian, German and Estoniancompanies participated in Theater construction andartistic decoration works. On project opening dayjournalists particularly emphasized the bright electriclights and other impressive building infrastructure el-ements for that time. For example, the stage machin-ery, which, like for the First city theater, was orderedfrom Munich (Germany), and the iron curtain manu-factured in “R.H.Mantels”, a factory in Riga.It should be noted that after reconstruction of thetheater in 2004, the project renovated by our com-pany won the honorable 1st place in nomination“Restoration” of contest “Best Construction 2004”by Latvian Builders Association.
Latvian National OperaThe Monumental City Theater or Riga City GermanTheater building was built in 1860 - 1863 accord-ing to a project by architect Ludvigs Bonštets (1822- 1885). The nationwide architectural monumenthas been built at the place where one of elements ofRiga’s fortification system - Pancake bastion - waspreviously located. It is a building in Hellenistic clas-sicism style, its most luxurious north-eastern facadeis decorated with ionic column portico and a groupof allegorical figures (Apollo, symbols of tragedy andcomedy, genius of drama, etc.)The roundish theater audience hall with 1240 seats,150 standing-rooms and three balconies has goodacoustics and pleasant proportions. Compared tomany eclectic buildings built at that time, the bal-anced theater building with the slim six-column ionicportico is like a delayed echo of classicism renaissanceof the beginning of the 19th century.Būvuzņēmums Restaurators has carried out both en-trance and interior restoration works of this buildingso important to Latvian culture.
Latvian BankThe central bank of the Republic of Latvia embodiessecurity, stability and constancy. It has great impor-tance in the financial system, as the issuing bank isone of the symbols of existence of the country.Bank of Latvia has found home in the building thatwas originally built as an office for Russian State Bankin Riga. Bank building project was made by architectAugusts Reinbergs (1860 - 1908). The original bankproject was developed in accordance with the RussianState Bank standard building regulations. The func-tional layout of the premises was developed by Rus-sian National Bank architect R.P. Goļeņiščevs. Thearchitectonic image and decorative design of facadesand interior of the building was planned by architectAugusts Reinbergs (1860 - 1908).Today, both the external image of the bank (for whichBūvuzņēmums Restaurators has created individualexterior elements) and the interior, that is entirely theresult of the skills and knowledge our craftsmen, isnationally important.