• 1973 – Berks Area Reading Transportation Authority
• 1978 – Special Services Division Established
• 2010 – Becomes a County Authority, Renamed Berks
Area REGIONAL Transportation Authority (BARTA)
Provide safe, efficient, convenient and
dependable transportation to the people of
Berks County, PA
BARTA Transportation Center
Franklin Street Station
BARTA Transportation Complex
When is a Site Considered
The property is listed on, or determined eligible for
listing in the National Register of Historic Places;
The property is considered a contributing structure
in a National Register Historic District;
The property is designated historic by local
The property is faced with imminent, recognized
endangerment either from overt action, neglect,
incompatible use, or loss of context.
Why Franklin Street Station?
• Accommodate future growth of local and regional bus
transport by restoring the Franklin Street Station
• Station Rehabilitation can accommodate future expansion
of a regional commuter line from Norristown
(Montgomery County) to the City of Reading
• Rehabilitation will be consistent with the historic
characteristics of both the building and the site.
• Early Coordination with FTA: EA vs. CATEX
• Early Coordination with PHMC: CATEX Required
“No Adverse Effect”
• “No Adverse Effect” Contingent on Details of
• PHMC Review and Approval of Final Plans
• Coordination with City of Reading HARB during
Building Preservation and
Identify and Assess
Retain Original Materials Wherever Possible
o Issue of hazardous materials
Err on the Side of Caution
o Salvage it all, decide later
• Thorough, concise site conditions report required
(from Planning, through Design and Construction)
• Expect the unexpected – What’s behind that wall?
Under the pavement?
• Plan for surprises – Walls that aren’t plumb, square;
clay block interior walls, gyp-crete roof planks, etc.
• Coordination with utilities; agencies will take longer
than expected – plan for it!
• Remember – Other involved entities have their own
rules, goals and expectations – be flexible.