Web browsers communicate with web servers primarily using HTTP (hyper-text transfer protocol) to fetch webpages. HTTP allows web browsers to submit information to web servers as well as fetch web pages from them. Web Pages are located by means of a URL (uniform resource locator), which is treated as an address, beginning with http: for HTTP access.
What’s S60 platform? The S60 Platform (formerly Series 60 User Interface) is a software platform for mobile phones that runs on Symbian OS. S60 is currently amongst the leading smartphone platforms in the world. It is owned by Nokia.
WRT is based on Webkit framework. Extends S60 browser. Enables widgets to run on S60 handsets.
Widgets - Similar to any other app installed on a handset. Only diff is widgets are made of HTML & JS where as other apps or usually implemented using C++ or Java. Web technology is always relatively simpler!
2 independent widgets performing their specific activities.
Nokia has the broadest product portfolio in the industry, offering products in all major markets, segments and price points and serving different consumer needs with optimized devices. The portfolio is the base of our competitiveness.
WRT plug-ins turn web designers into widget
• Allow developers to use popular and existing web IDE to develop widgets
• Developers can create, develop, test, preview and deploy WRT widgets to
millions of Nokia devices
NOKIA WRT Plug-in Offerings
• Features offered in 1.0:
• Supports WRT 1.0 API
• Quick Preview, Debug, Validate, Package and Deploy to Device/emulator
• Multiple platform compatible : Windows, Mac
• Features offered in 2.0:
• Supports WRT 1.1 API ( SAPI Support )
• Home Screen Integration
• Code Migration from 1.0 to 2.0
• Code Completion for WRT 1.1 API
• Console window support for Debugging
• Event Triggering for API’s like Messaging, Battery, Memory