Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2013
Presented By –
Gracy Carvallo F-7
Vishitha Shetty F-28
Quency Alloysius M-11
Newton Lopes F -12
Joel Lopes F-31
James Fernandez M-20
Prashant Gonsalves M-26
Date – 02-03-2013
• Vibrant Gujarat is the growth engine of Indian
• It is the name given to a biennial Global investors'
summit held by the Government of Gujarat.
• It is an example of a visionary approach of the
Government of Gujarat towards inclusive and
Why this event ??
• The event is aimed at bringing together
business leaders, investors, corporations,
thought leaders, policy and opinion makers, etc.
• The summit is advertised as a platform to understand and
explore business opportunities in the State of Gujarat.
• The Vibrant Gujarat Summit has become a model for
economic success for many states.
Contd…Why this event ??
• This event provides a great opportunity to the
State to display its strengths, progressive stance, initiatives
taken to improve governance, investor friendly climate and
art & culture of Gujarat.
• The Summit has had resounding successes in the past
attracting several companies from Asia and Europe to
establish their presence in Gujarat.
• The first Vibrant Gujarat summit was held in 2003.
It is held after every alternate year.
• It was the 6th summit of Vibrant Gujarat, held at Mahatma
Mandir – Gandhinagar on 12th – 13th January 2013
How Vibrant is Gujarat?
• Strategic Location - Located on the west coast of India &
connected to major ports of UK, Middle East, Africa, East
Asia and Australia
• Strong Economic Credentials - One of the most industrialized
state, with 38 % of GDP contributed by secondary sector.
• Business Friendly Regulatory Environment - A Globally competitive business
destination with outstanding human capital.
• Highly Skilled and Multilingual Workforce - 1,405 higher education
institutions/colleges affiliated to various universities in the State.
• Strong and Sophisticated Financial Services Sector - State is home to 6,091
branches of Scheduled Commercial Banks including private sector.
• Vibrant Culture and Excellent Lifestyle - Gujarat ranks high on the livability scale.
Quality of life and standards of living are high while costs are low.
• Industrial Policy - Gujarat has introduced new sector policies for promotion of
investment and growth.
Overview of the 6th edition of Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2013
• Provision of enormous prospects to the State to display its strengths, progressive
• Initiatives taken to improve governance, investor friendly climate and art and culture
• Inclusive development being the prime focus, the key areas for development
identified included: Innovation, Sustainability, Youth and Skill Development,
Knowledge Sharing and Networking.
• The Vibrant Gujarat 2013 Summit was transformational and revolutionary. It
provided a platform for various states of India and other countries to co-operate and
explore attractive business opportunities in Gujarat.
• A total of 2,100 delegates from 121 countries attending 127 seminars on different
topics, forging 2,670 strategic partnership intentions is a rare achievement.
• With the Vibrant Gujarat 2013 Summit, ‘Brand Gujarat’ established bonding with
people from around the globe.
Focused Sectors of Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2013
- Engineering and Auto
- Gems and Jewellery
- Technical Textiles
- Specialty Chemicals
- Pharmaceutical and
Contd… Focused Sectors of Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2013
• Sustainable Development
- Urban Development – Transport led development
- Healthcare – working towards Human development
- Water - Recycling & Treatment
• Innovation & Knowledge
- R & D
- Human Capital
• Service Sector
- IT, ITES, KPO & BPO
- Financial Services
• Ports, Shipbuilding & related Industries
• Agribusiness & Food Processing
• Renewable Energy & Technologies
• Infrastructure Profile of Gujarat
• Large Project Opportunities in Gujarat
Trade shows under Vibrant Gujarat
Few other platforms in the world can boast of a single premise
where there can be buyer seller meets, international
conferences, business networking, technology assessments,
strategic partnerships, vendor development and so on.
VGGTS has been strategically planned to incorporate all of the
above key focus sectors within the exhibition area to give to all
exhibitors the advantage of inter-sectorial business opportunities.
After business, Gujarat is keen to emerge as a global education
• The Vibrant Gujarat Summits have succeeded in establishing Gujarat as a
networking platform for sharing of knowledge and technology from across
• The Government of Gujarat envisages a progressive intent that goes
beyond businesses and includes plans for several knowledge based
events under the banner of Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2013.
• Reputed global universities tie-up with Gujarat-based
universities for knowledge sharing and collaborations
• More than 145 foreign universities of 57 countries and 52 Gujarat-based
universities converged at the conference to explore internationalization of
education in Gujarat.
Vibrant Gujarat 2013 Jubilant, Essar, Adani commit investments
totaling Rs 22,000 crore
• Shashi Ruia of Essar Group has committed investments worth
Rs 15,000 crore in Gujarat. Speaking at the Vibrant Gujarat
Summit 2013, he said Rs 10,000 crore will be invested in the
ports sector while Rs 4,000 crore in
bulk water supply. The rest of the
investment will be in existing projects
of the company in Gujarat, he said.
Shashi Ruia said Gujarat has proven
that good governance can exist with
Gujarat- the growth engine of India
Gujarat has been ranked 1st as per the “Economic Freedom of
the States of India 2012”
Onshore Crude Oil
Source: Gujarat Socio-economic review 2011-12; Annual
Survey of Industries 2008-09; DIPP SIA statistics
Major contributor to India’s
manufacturing sectorA highly industrialized state with 7.5%
contribution to India's GDP (2011-12)
Contributes 17% of India’s
industrial output (2011-12)
26% share in investments
(implemented projects) in India, till
Contributes 25% of India's
37% share of India's total port cargo is
handled at Gujarat's ports (2011-12)
India – investment environment
Source: UNCTAD, World Investment Report 2012
Source: A.T. Kearney Survey
8. Russian Federation (5)
8. Germany (8)
1. China (1)
2. United States (2)
3. India (3)
4. Indonesia (6)
5. Brazil (4)
6. Australia (8)
6. United Kingdom (13)
Top 10 perspective host
economies for 2012-14FDI Confidence Index, 2012
0 0.5 1 1.5 2 8. Thailand (12) economies
0 10 20 30 40
Note: (x) – 2011 ranking
Some drawbacks.. .
• Because of increasing more industries in Gujarat –
– High Pollution
– Noisy environment
– Environment Imbalance
– High temp.
– At a long time it will be very difficult to live a peaceful
Opportunities & Vision…
• Once upon a time, Gujarat was the gateway to the
Globe from India. Now it is becoming the Global
Gateway to India. Gujarat welcomes you through
open arms with this event which has grown far
beyond the boundaries of Gujarat.
• "Gujarat, with its all inclusive, sustainable and
rapid growth, is emerging as a globally preferred
place to live in and to do business.”
• “We cannot promise you the moon, but
we promise you the platform from where,
you can reach the heights of success”
- CM Narendra Modi