What is OLPC ?
• Education project
• Learning opportunities for
• SELF-Empowered learning
• The OLPC association
develops a low-cost
how we educate the
• To provide educational opportunities for the
world's underprivileged children by providing
each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power,
connected laptop with content and software
designed for collaborative, joyful, self-
• It’s an education project,
not a laptop project.
- Nicholas Negroponte
(Founder of OLPC)
Self-learn Share Collaborate
Children can self-learn without the aid of teachers. They can
share their ideas and opinions with each other. Learning made
easy will come true with the help of these laptops.
XO : The Children's Laptop
• The default system software for the XO laptop
includes child-friendly Activities, the Sugar
user interface, and many other software
components built on top of a modified Fedora
• OLPC started it's journey in India in September,2007 at
Khairat, a rural village near Navi Mumbai in
• Since July 2008 OLPC India has been reaching out to
various state governments, the primary education
initiatives of the central government, corporations,
foundations, NGOs and high net worth individuals.
• It also started a new pilot at Katha in Delhi. Katha has
been mandated to take its model to several million
children in Delhi and they are excited about XO
changing the world of children of Delhi's slums around
Current Deployments in India
• Katha, Govindpuri, Kalkaji, New Delhi
• Khairat school, Khairat-Dhangarwada Village,
• Parikrma Center for Learning, Bangalore
• Aradhna Convent School, Bangalore
• Holy Mother School, Nashik
• Saint-Anthony School, Dugawar (U.P.)
• Auroville, Tamil Nadu
Khairat school, Khairat-Dhangarwada Village, Maharashtra
Current Deployments outside India
• OLPC has also been deployed in Argentina,
Brazil, Colombia, Haiti, Mexico, Nicaragua,
Peru, Uruguay, Afghanistan, Korea, Rwanda,
Libya, Nigeria, the Netherlands, Republic of
Macedonia , Romania, United States and
Canada , Alabama.
• Started on 14th Feb,2009 in Gnunify
• Project categorized in three areas
I am not a technical person, but I
am interested, what can I do ?
• Get Involved Locally: The first place you should look
to get involved with OLPC is in your community.
Chances are that there is someone else nearby that
is also interested.
• Localization: The XO Laptop is deployed to children in
many languages; we ♥ people who can help us
translate in many ways.
• Content: Help us provide free and open content for
children along with their XO's.
Let us come together to make
One Laptop Per Child project a
reality on ground !!